Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems opening a .stl file

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a .stl file I did some months ago and I wanted to open it on solid edge. When I selected the file, another window appears where I can select the extention and then a message shows "the stl file have only facet data. The facet data can only be imported in ordered environment" (I translated the message because my solid is in spanish).

4 REPLIES

Re: Problems opening a .stl file

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Make sure you select a part (.par) template on the "New" dialog".  You will still get a message, but the file will open in the Ordered Part mode (vs. synchronous part).

See image from my ST8 academic installation.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Experimenter
Experimenter

I did open the file with the recomendation you give, but now I have another problem... I cannot modify the figure! Smiley Sad

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Sara_Salazar wrote:

I did open the file with the recomendation you give, but now I have another problem... I cannot modify the figure! Smiley Sad

Hi @Sara_Salazar,

The STL file is a tessellated file, in that, it's a view only entity.....you'll need to use another neutral file format, such as STEP, IGES, or Parasolid,...in order to get editable 3D geometry into Solid Edge.....or place the STL part in an assembly template, then use "Create Part In-Place" to build a replica of the file, while being able to see the shape of the STL during model creation.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Sara_Salazar as @SeanCresswell points out, you cannot modify imported STL data.

The limitations of working with imported STL data are documented in the Solid Edge help:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uidSmiley Surprisedpenstl1a