Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using the pattern tool in the sketch environment

Creator
Creator

Hello everybody:

I know how to use circular and square patterns to copy a feature for example, a hole. But I am having problems using those tools when I am making a sketch.

When you want to replicate a feature, the pattern tool asks you what feature do you want to replicate. But when you are in the sketch environment and you want to replicate a line (that is not an entire feature), the pattern tool doesn’t ask you what is the shape that you want to copy.

How in the sketch environment do you tell the program what you want to make copies of?

Regards,

Jorge

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Problems using the pattern tool in the sketch environment

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

within the sketch, in the Ordered mode (only I believe),  you can create a sketch pattern.   Circular or Rectangular.   then when you leave the sketch you can use the regular pattern command to pattern a sketch element from the Sketch pattern you just created. 

I would question and caution against creating too many elements within a sketch.  Just old school modeling practices advise us against such.   The sketch will take more PC horsepower to process than face sets that are created from the pattern command.

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Re: Problems using the pattern tool in the sketch environment

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JorgeGRE

absolutely with @Johnson_BigMatt!

A sketch profile is not intended to hold duplicates of 2D geometry.

And always try to keep a sketch as as small and easy as possible. 

regards
Wolfgang