Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Surface Pro Stylus

Creator
Creator

I have been using a Surface Pro 4 for probably a year and a half now and recently started expereincing problems with using the stylus with Solid Edge. Currently on ST9 (have to wait and upgrade when our customer does so we can stay on same version).

used to be able to take the keyboard off and carry my surface to customer locations and do some quick edits or whatever with the stylus. Recently the stylus no longer works correctly. It just rotates the model when you try to edit a feature or select a plane to sketch on. I can still see the dot but the only thing it is good for is rotating.

I used to be able to select a plane to sketch on then draw lines or select a dimension to edit. Nothing but rotation.j

I have tried this in ST10 and also no a new Surface Pro 5 and the same problem. Did Solid Edge remove support for the stylus on the Surface Pro?

13 REPLIES

Re: Problems with Surface Pro Stylus

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

@jbotts

I do not see this behavior on my Surface Pro 4.  Do you know if this issue corresponds with a Microsoft update?

Would it be possible to uninstall Solid Edge, then reinstall?  I'd be curious if reinstalling corrects the issue.  I'll check a few things here as well.

Thanks,

Keith

Project Test Eng Adv

Mainstream Eng

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

* Opinions expressed are my own.

Phenom
Phenom

Or it could simply be the sensors in the stylus itself.

Creator
Creator
@KeithCain Great suggestion, I uninstalled ST9 from my Surface Pro 4 and rebooted then reinstalled, still same problem. I then uninstalled and tried ST10 and same problem, uninstalled and rebooted and installed ST9 again and the same problem. Then I borrowed a brand new Surface Pro 5 and installed ST9 and same issue.

@RyanM Another great suggestion but I purchased a new stylus and same issue and also I tried this on a new Surface Pro 5 with a different stylus and same issue.

I contacted my reseller for support (Ally PLM which is now PLIM) and they had no idea what I was talking about. Very Frustrated. I can only think that it would be a Windows update. I have also messed around with Pen settings in Windows 10 and still cannot get it to work properly.

@jbotts

Thank you for the information.  I have been able to reproduce the problem on a new Surface Book 2.  I don't believe it is a stylus issue as the stylus I have works just fine with my original Surface Book and my Surface Pro 4, but not the new Surface Book 2.

Would you provide me with the Windows OS build number?  The systems that work for me have not updated to Fall Creators update version but the failing system does have the update.

Thanks,

Keith

Project Test Eng Adv

Mainstream Eng

Siemens Industry Sector

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Ah, praise be to the fall creator's update. It seems to have noxious tendrils reaching out to many of us.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

@KeithCain

build:16299.125

That's the one. The big, bad, ugly one.

jbotts wrote:

@KeithCain

build:16299.125

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@jbotts

I have filed a problem report on this issue, so developement will be taking a look at this.  Today I will also be testing non Microsoft devices to confirm that it is a general problem with Fall Creator Update and all touch screen devices.  I will also test removing the Fall Creator Update to see if that corrects the problem.

Thanks,

Keith

Project Test Eng Adv

Mainstream Eng

Siemens Industry Sector

HI @KeithCain

so are there other known issues with Solid Edge and the Fall Creators Update of Win10?

At the moment I have got it to prefent my workstation from upgrading, but I was not lucky to do so with the notebook.

It would be very important to know, wether it is a general and gloabl problem, it depends on certain hardware specifications, etc.

Everything we can to before will help.

regards
Wolfgang