Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with converting Large Assembly to a segmented STL pat

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have been developing an aircraft for a school assignment with little issue, but issues have arisen as I attempted to convert the entire .assembly file (alot of individual parts together) to a single solid, within either a .part file or .stp, so that it can be segmented, sliced and 3D printed for testing. I believe that the main issue lies in my inability to convert the entire file to a single solid, as it lies in currently in several solids at once (within .part files which have been created from .asm). Thus I need aid in making the entire part all active at once, so that the solid mesh can be exported.

If this is infact not the problem, then greater measure will have to be taken.

I'll upload the assembly and other files if needed

Thank you for your help in advance

Francis MacDonald

9 REPLIES

Re: Problems with converting Large Assembly to a segmented STL pat

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Francis,

Will it work to create a new part file and then use the Part Copy command to insert the assembly into the part file?

Greg

Experimenter
Experimenter
No, it is usually plauged with a boolean failure of some sought.
Thank you for your suggestion - I'm not sure if this boolean issue implies
corruption within a part file or not.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Solid Edge can export an assembly as STL.  Will this not work for you?

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

It will export - at a large file size, but I cannot do anything useful to this file afterwards (I'm pretty sure), in regards to cut up the part into usable sections.

When I attempted to export then import it as an .iges, I'm prompted with the error 'Multiple bodies found - an active body or base feature is required' 

Is this in any way to due with my issues - and similarly could I some how make all bodies active bodies?

Thanks again for all your help

Francis

Hi there @Francismac,

So I'm confused.......do you want the file for making section views in "Draft" [no need to export at all], or to be 3D printed.[using the STL export already mentioned - the printer software should take care of the rest]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter
I need to export it as stl, but first cut it up. This is because not only is it a larger scale than desired, but it is also a long and thing shape, and has to be printed in many different parts, so drafting I do want to section it, but split it in to actual physical sections.

OK, so your assembly is too big to be printed in one piece so you want to create several part files of "sections" of the assembly and then save them individually to STL for printing...

Insert Part Copy is not working due to an error most likely "non-manifold boundary" errors

I don't know if you are using a service to print your parts or you have a printer, but you may see if their/your printer programming software will "section" the STL for you.  Our 15 year old Stratasys software could easily do that and I would be suprised if the newer software could not.

Alternatively, you might be able to create the sketches where you want to cut your assembly into sections, perform a Save As for each section and then in each of those saved assemblies, do a Assembly Cutout and cut away the sections that do not belong and then save the STL file out for the remaining section.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Maybe the terminology is slightly off,......perhaps it is better described as the [now hidden] "divide part" command, in order to make the model fit within the build envelope of the 3D printer.

....but, for the most part, I was thinking along exactly the same lines as what Ken is desribing.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

That sounds like a plan to me - I'm printing it myself so I should be able to manage it all. I've always just wanted to avoid editing STL files post conversion, because I felt that it would produce crazy artifacts, but I guess the program should deal with that all.

Thank you for your help

Francis