Project Points Onto Surface

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to project a sketch point pattern onto a surface?

project_sketch_points.png

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP3
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
10 REPLIES

Re: Project Points Onto Surface

Phenom
Phenom

The Project command has Point and Entire Sketch options and I was able to project a single point on the surface. However not aware of how to pattern the point.

Since you already have the sketch point pattern, window select it using the Point option.

I am curious though to know how to create a pattern of sketch points as seen in your image.

2016_July_12_01.png

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @David_McMahon,

Yes, as @Tushar says...you cannot pattern sketch points. You can place a grid of points aligned with relationships & dimensions, but unfortunately only project one point at a time, certainly no patterning of them available.

However, there might be another way to get to the same end. Try using a pattern of sketch lines, to then use the "Intersection Pont" command on. [see attached ST8 file]

ST8_PAR_PatternedLines_IntersectionPoints (1).png

ST8_PAR_PatternedLines_IntersectionPoints (2).png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

Good solution @SeanCresswell and some clever thinking.

But, 

SeanCresswell wrote:

Yes, as @Tushar says...you cannot pattern sketch points.

Sorry if my previous comment implied that; in fact, I want to know how the pattern of sketch points was created as the user has clearly pointed out this in the image.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No negative inference taken @Tushar......all good buddy.

The way I took @David_McMahon's text, was that the instance markers of the pattern shown in the image, was what he wanted to use "as the points" to project.....as pattern doesn't recognise points as input.

My alternative method, was a bit of guess really, as to what the desired outcome might be.......I presumed that being, point entities on the surface, but I may be off target just as easily. Robot Embarassed

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I created the pattern using the Sketch > Rectangular Pattern command. See attached. I was hoping to use the Surfacing > Wrap Sketch command but, although I could select the sketch, it would not project the points. I have attached the part file.

sketch_points.png

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP3
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @David_McMahon,

Yes, it is as I thought......the "green dots" are only markers for the pattern instances. Not physical "point" entities [features], to use in that way.

Sean Cresswell

Phenom
Phenom

Cool solution my friend!

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

@SeanCresswell

@Tushar

@David_McMahon

That is an interesting "work around". I'm not sure I would call it a solution. A solution would be an enhancement request that did exactly what the user wants to do...map a pattern of equally spaced points or point set (user defined) onto a non-linear surface or group of surfaces.

Proejct Point/Point Set would be a great enhancement to Solid Edge.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the intersection method IMHO solves only one part of possible projections.

There also could be the request to project them normal to surface rather then vertical to plane.

Nevertheless the major issue might be the pattern creation itself.

But could the curve pattern on surface help?

Man could use to orthogonal curves at the surface for pattering one real feature on it.

regards
Wolfgang