Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project a line from another sketch - dimension is not updated

Experimenter
Experimenter

In “Sketch 4” of “Base.par”, a line was projected from “Sketch_Base” in “Concept Assy.asm”, with the following setting (refer to the uploaded pictures). When I increase the dimension of the line in “Sketch_Base” (you can see that extended black line below the highlighted green line), and click updated active level. The projected line in “Sketch 4” is not updated to match the dimension of the line in “Sketch_Base”. Why? Some help to find a solution is much appreciated.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES

Betreff: Project a line from another sketch - dimension is not updated

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Dorcas

maybe I'm wrong but a projected sketch IMHO always is not the 100% geomettrical object of the original.

Even if You do this within one single part and You project a single edge from another sketch or from the body edge 
than Solid Edge takes the edge only but not the "line"

If You want to have a certain length too, then You should take aditional lines (end connected to Your profile too.

Or - and this is what I would suggest to do, You use a drop off sketch or when in assembly mode and between multiple parts then I would take the "Copy Sketch" functionto get associative sketch geometry in multiple parts

20171222_1343.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Project a line from another sketch - dimension is not updated

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes to what @hawcad said. Includes don't follow the length of the source line, edge, etc. Only the projected position in the "to" plane. You could put an "equal" relation between the two lines (as a different example than @hawcad) to control length but you need other methods to control the endpoints.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Project a line from another sketch - dimension is not updated

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

A line include is the same thing a colliniar relation. In fact if you delete the include symbol, you can repair it using  a colliniar relation.

My common practice is the include four line around the part and use trim corner on them. Then they turn black (I using relation colors). This is how I turn plane locations into tabs of sheet metal.