Properties moment of inertia

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello together,

does anybody know how I can define a new coordinate system of my main axes to moment of inertia (black coordinate system in the picture).

I would like to have that 1 ,2 ,3 is parallel to my standard coordinate system x, y ,z.

I need to have the parallel system due to steiner sentence in order to charge the momen of interia parallel to a main turning axle.axes

Thank you for your response.

Regards

Marcello

6 REPLIES

Re: Properties moment of inertia

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

You have to show center of mass and you can connect a coordinate system to it.

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Can I assume that was done in Sync and not ordered? What about the same question in ordered? I use ordered sheet metal because I can't directly control flat size in sync and never have the time for a new learning curve. I'm considering this type of calculation to indicate the required force of bends for sheet metal.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm pretty sure Imics did it in ordered. Don't you know what hagyomanyos means!? Smiley Happy

Edit: Yeah, the commands are clearly ordered.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

Thank you a lot for this video.

But my question is, I would like to have axle z and axle 1 (moment of interia) parallel.

Why does Solid Edge turn the coordinate system (1,2,3) just because the part has a bevel geometrie?

Because in the assembly the z axle is parallel to my main turning axle. That means, that axle 1 also have to be parallel that i can use steiner´s law to calculate the main moment of interia.

Thanks

Regards

Marcello

Phenom
Phenom

On the physical properties dialog box there is a drop-down where you can select a different co-ordinate system for properties to be calculated.

If you change this to the new one created according to the (excellent) video does it give the results required ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Hello Marcello,

The black axes in your picture are simply the three principal axes of inertia.  These are also listed in the Physical Properties dialog box under the Principal tab.  Along with that are the three principal moments of inertia about those three principal axes.  You cannot rotate those black axes - they are what they are as a consequence of the geometry.

You are interested in the mass moment of inertia about the axis of rotation.  So simply define a coordinate system at that axis and then re-run the Physical Properties command.  In the dialog box that pops up, just select the coordinate system you defined at the axis of rotation from the drop down list under Coordinate system: near the top-left of the dialog box.  You can then read the mass moments of inertia off as appropriate.  They will be about the three axes defined by that coordinate system.  No need for the parallel axis theorem (Steiner's law) as that is already taken care of by Solid Edge.

Cheers,

Chris