Solved! Go to solution

Property text - drawing view caption

Hi,

I'm trying to add any property text from graphic connection to the caption of a drawing view.
For example: %{Parts List Item Number|G}

The complete caption is showed (the checkbox "Show" is "on"), but without this property text.

Does anyone has an idea?

9 REPLIES

Re: Property text - drawing view caption

Hi @SVGBN

Can you record a video what are you trying to acheive ? Step by step ?

thanks

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8

Hi @arekkul

I've made 2 snapshots, I hope this is clear enough.

When I'm using a callout with this property text, it works:

scrn1.png

Now I'm trying to achieve the same within the caption of the drawing view of this single part, but it doesn't show the property text ("4" in this case):

scrn2.png

Thanks!

Hi @SVGBN

I would suggest to use Callouts/

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP8

Thank you Arek, but that is not what I'm looking for. 

The caption is something I can preset with "styles", so that is will automatically will show up when placing a new drawing view.

I hope anyone else is able to help. 

Not sure it can be done in the caption. Other properties display with a graphic connection but it seems like knowing the parts list item number of the part involves an extra link it can't handle.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SVGBN
3 weeks ago

HI @SVGBN

for me this is a clear behaviour due to the fact in the first case You are referencing the part from an assembly where in the second case Your object is the view of the assembly.

So there IMHO is no real connection between infos You try to get out.

regards
Wolfgang

HI @SVGBN again,

there IMHO is another big issue regarding Your request, and that again is the question:

"Does a single part draft view have an Pos number (item numer) or not?"

For me - as said often here - a Pos number is associated to a BOM from an assembly and not with a single part.

A single part will have a name, a document ID (numer), material, and son on, but no item/pos numer

If You use any other - real part specific info/property, it will be shown under the view too, but as it is now, it doesn't make sens to show an item number and an item quantity for a singlé part draft

Next time You will use the same part in a different ASM and what's then?

Item number already used there?

Item quantity is totally different?

regards
Wolfgang

I can see wanting to show an item number for a part in its caption. And it doesn't have anything to do with other assemblies. If you use it in a different assembly then its item number will likely be different, that's all.

But you have to use a callout because, as @hawcad said, a single part view will typically have no parts list reference and its item number would always be 1. And an assy view is just that, a view of the assembly. Even if you turn off all the other parts it still won't understand a graphic connection whereas a callout has an actual graphic connection to a part.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Good point hawcad.

In addition, sheet metal flat pattern don't know what item number they are.

I'm just in the habbit of using a callout for each draing view or group of drawing views to label it.

I have different ones for each kind of part.

Here is what I use for sheet metal parts.

%{Document Number|GP} %{Title|GP} %{Mass/@1|GP}
%{Gage|GP} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/CP/@3|G} x %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/CP/@3|G}

And another one I use for extruded frame sections (custom properties of shape and L=cut length)

%{Document Number|GP} %{Title|GP} %{Mass/@1|GP}
%{Shape/CP|GP} X %{L/@3/NU/CP|G}%RT

I almost never use a typical "part" I'm 84%sheet metal and about 15% extruded frame shapes.

I let the names and number label the parts and don't use item number so that I can use the same label on the flat pattern and the finished formed views. Less confusion this way. I think I have an ER to get item numbers on flat patterns. then I could use item number as view labbles.