Pull-out Challenge

Genius
Genius

Good day everyone,

Today is my first post on this forum, have been reading this forum for some while now trying to pick things up I don't know yet.

I'm a 26 year young engineer who already works arround 8 years full time with solid edge at a stainless steel tank / vessel production company in the Netherlands.

I have a challenge for pulling out material in a roof top, i have added a sheetmetal part to this topic to show you guys how we do it now. This way is time consuming, i would like to know if there is a easier way or something that i might be missing.

Our support kinda gave up with the reason that solid edge is not capable of calculating this forms with the round base it's on.

We are currently working in ST6, but if there might be a solution in ST7 or ST8 I would still like to know. We can't use ST7 and ST8 because it breaks our standard parts which will be fixed in ST9.

Hope to hear from you guys!

Cheers,

Sander

14 REPLIES

Re: Pull-out Challenge

Phenom
Phenom

How is this feature created in real life? Is the whole plate profiled, rolled to make a cone then the deformation part punched out or similar?

If so, I don't know of a way to do the deformation features on a curved surface in SE such that you get a flat pattern with no deformation, however your model as it is will flatten the cone part and show the deformed feature unflattened - perhaps your CNC nesting software can still use this to cutout the overall shape while etching the location of the punched part?

Otherwise if it's a welded hatch or connection piece or whatever, you'd be best stopping at your normal cutout feature then adding the external part in an assembly. 

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You really need ST7 (Classic or Premium - -i dont' recall which) for this kind of thing -- the Create Blank command. FWIW, this is the answer it gives -- I picked both the cone and the deformed hole area. Looks pretty accurate to me (again, depending on your process). 

ScreenHunter_363 Nov. 02 10.20.jpg

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I rolled back to "Normal Cutout 1" and flattened. Strange that my dims are different.

Edit: The hole is different in diameter too.

Pull-out_Flat.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I included the deformed area. Remember, this is not a analytic answer -- it uses FEA to figure it out. And thus the mesh will be different for yours vs mine. So a less than 1% difference is really no diffference at all.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I suppose so. What do you mean "it uses FEA to figure it out"?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Thank you for all the respons.

When we produce it we have the flatten disk we put a plug in the center hole and pull it into a cone. For the forcing at the nozzle hole we have a machine that we put in the hole and then it bends the sides. When we make the dxf of this part the hole is changed to a diameter for the machine for that specific hole diameter. This goes all automatically with a other program we have made, the only manual thing is all the stuff after "transform 1". About this i would like to know if somebody knows a better / faster way.

@dcstaples

I have tested the blank option in ST7 and ST8 with disapionting results, this is a part i made for this situation our main part has a lot more stuff inside of it with a forcing at the outsides to. If i calculate it like we make them for the last 6 years with a lot of trail and error in the production area and now with the blank option i get a 30-40mm difference in the dxf's. As we do not work with ST7 or ST8 yet i only took a look at it for fun. When we can use those versions i will make sure that i spend time in that option to find out the right settings for our product.

Mayby you ask why don't you just update, well in ST7 the midpoint from the coordinate system got removed but most of our standard parts got made with a connection on that midpoint (Don't ask me why, i would not have done it Smiley Wink). So when we would upgrade we have thousands of broken parts that do not work correctly anymore. When we fix the connection points the parts still do not work correctly. Do we remake the parts in ST8 it works great, so something goes wrong in the conversion from ST6 (Parts are mostley from V17 / ST2). Ofcource this has been reported and bieing dealt with but costs time and fix comes in ST9.

Phenom
Phenom

You could create your part with 2 design bodies in it.

Body 1: Sheet metal body cone with the cutout created to the dimensions you need for your machine. The flat pattern of this body will be what is cut directly in your profiler

Body 2: Part body to represent the deformed nozzle. This is not for manufacture and can be hidden in any drafts you do for the part, but it will allow you to visualise and mate to this feature in your assemblies.

It doesn't really matter if the two bodies don't exactly match up at the intersection.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Genius
Genius

I don't want the option to hide a second body, because when it's drawn it must be shown on the drawing.

But how would you draw that second body? Because that was the main qeustion of my topic Smiley Very Happy.

Phenom
Phenom
Use the multi-body modelling functions in SE which I think came in, in ST5
or 6 so you should have them.

Do as you were doing, but before you do the second thicken feature, use the
Add Body function and select Part body. It may make more sense to use
something other than thicken as you're not going to be worried about
flattening it.