Putting notches in the flat at bend lines

Phenom
Phenom

A couple of our customers put notches in their flat patterns, basically a small arc, one on each end of a bend as a way to indicate where to bend. A couple of the higher ups wants to know if we can start doing this, instead of etching the bend lines into the flat. I told them it will be too much additional work to do this as I'm stretched too thin as it is, and I can't think of a way to sort of do this automatically. I'm not sure how the customers go about this, but they use solid works, and I have works installed as well, but I didn't find a setting that allows this in works. Anybody have an idea how to do this? I've included a basic snip of a flat. Just a simple part shaped like an L, but with small notches  on each of of the bend line.

notching.PNG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
2 REPLIES

Re: Putting notches in the flat at bend lines

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can do this to the Flat Pattern model with a cutout, but you are doing this manually.  It's probable that a custom macro would be needed to do this to make it efficient.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: Putting notches in the flat at bend lines

Phenom
Phenom

Yeah and I'm not going to spend all that extra time on putting them in. Don't have the time to do on every single bent part we do. Especially when we have the lines able to be etched in like we already do. I'm not doing all that busy work for no good reason. At the very least it will lead to human error.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"