Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QR Codes

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am investigating the possibility of including dynamic QR codes inside SolidEdge drawings. We are already able to use simple barcodes using barcode fonts but with QR codes it is a bit more complicated - some external library has to be invoked, and i'm not sure if it's possible to do that with SolidEdge. Another option I was thinking is embedding an image based on URL - like  https://www.bcgen.com/demo/IDAutomationStreamingQRCode.aspx?D=Test

Has anyone accomplished anything similar?

10 REPLIES

Re: QR Codes

Legend
Legend
This actually came up here at work a few days ago about putting a QR code on a drawing and matching QC being engraved into parts. I was unable to find any automated generating system for SE or SW.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @GabM,

I've done this for a couple of clients, albeit a long time ago now......but, we just generated the QR-Code and placed it as an image into the drawing sheet background, and that was enough for them.

QR-Code_SS-Biz-Card_Sean.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP2] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

We want the QR code to be dynamic and based on some properties defined in the document. We can already achieve that with a normal 1D barcode (using a Code 39 barcode font), but we'd like to do the same with a QR to have more data in a small-sized barcode. Unfortunately the use of barcode fonts with QR code is not possible without some sort of helper library. If we don't find any solution I think I'll write a simple script and update the image through COM automation.

Aha....completely missunderstood the small descriptor "dynamic" in your original post. This then, is WAY beyond my capabilities. Robot Embarassed Robot LOL

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

I am pretty sure it is doable through an external script, but I'd like it to be as simple as it is right now with the "regular" 1D barcode. We're using this information to feed data to our ERP and production management application, and a single QR code will give us more information than a few 1D barcodes.

Thanks everyone for your help!

@GabM,

Just a thought.....I wonder, you may get a better scope of input, for your needs, if you posted this in the "Solid Edge Developer" forum.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/bd-p/SEDeveloperForum 

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

Thanks Sean - this is definitely a developer question at this stage!

Legend
Legend

This is about as close as I have been able to find in a pure VBA way to generate the code, seems people are unwilling to share.

You could embed an excel sheet with this code in it to drive your QR code on the drawing.

https://sites.google.com/site/e90e50fx/home/generate-qrcode-with-excel

It isn't quite the direction I was hoping to go as I wanted the QR code on the model itself but I think it could kinda work as a binder attachment.

If anyone one does run across a pure VBA method please let me know as we need a method that does not require internet access.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi nanan00,

Have you come any futher on this subject. Have you maybe found an SE plugin?

I am happy to explore this futher with u to see if we could arrange this. Would be great!

Of course barcode fonts can be used without using the hash check, but when using code128 barcodes or QR codes and encoder must be used.

Regards,

Rick