Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quantity of item when copy in sketch

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
The situation is, I have a 1000 long mm line in sketch. I want to make 50 copies of it in x axis with move command in 2500 mm spacing. I can write the required spacing in move-copy window, but I can't find any cell to write item quantity. I have to click 50 times in the sketch to make 50 items.

Is there any way to do that? Like array command in AutoCAD or in 3ds max? There are options to input distances and item numbers also.

Regards,
Aslam
7 REPLIES

Re: Quantity of item when copy in sketch

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @aslam

Simple question, what do you want to achieve multiplying one line 50 times? Do you want to create some feature or part?

Is this the Sketch environment when creating the part or Draft one?

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you @arekkul for your query. The actual situation is in part sketch mode. Imagine a part like corrugated iron sheet where are multiple folds. First I sketch the total section, then extrude. I need the solution for 1st sketch.

Regards,
Aslam

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @aslam

Okay, so firstly,  the correct method to create this is to create the first sketch for one feature - create it, then use the pattern command to do the rest for a created feature only - not for the sketch.

1. sketch

2. Feature

3. Pattern feature

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

absoluteley agree with @arekkul

Don't create sketches with 1000 lines in it.

Build Your 3D feature and use the pattern function there.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi @arekkul,

Thank you for the solution! Sorry, I still have the curiosity of that process? Maybe be no use, but is there any way to do that?

Hi @hawcad, do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Aslam

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

besides the fact that in Solid Edge the policy was created to not pattern 2D geometry in 3D skecthes, the only way to approach and solve Your request is via a short detour to draft and back to 3D

See video, where a opened an empty draft, changed to 2D model space and have drawn the vertical line with 1m length AND followed by a rectangular pattern of 50 times in X with distance of 2500 by 1 times in Y with an distance

Copy the 2D result and paste it into the 3D sketch.

(view in My Videos)

But remember that the best way anyway would be to create any 3D feature - which also can be a curve, maybe a section curve, a projected one etc., and pattern this in 3D part.

This way also provides an associative feature tree for that part, what means, that You can change any numbers and parameters at any time.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

Thank you very much for the video. I was exactly looking for that. Definitely I will follow your suggested way, but this process is an extra knowledge maybe useful for some other reason.

Regards,
Aslam