Question about handling hybrid approach in sheet metal

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm experimenting a little more with Synchronous sheet metal as I work with some models I imported from my older CAD system (CADKEY 99) into Solid Edge for new designs.  Since the files are "dumb solids" I figured I would try using a hybrid approach to deal with these parts.  Of note, some of the parts have jogs and other features that are better suited for Ordered while being able to pull/push flanges around is better in Syncronous.  So here are my question for those who have been working with Synchronous for a while:

1.  Jogs are bettter modeled in Ordered, but if you switch to Synchronous in the model they disappear.  How do you work around the disappearing Ordered features?

2. Do you model as many Synchronous features as possible first, then model ordered features or do you have a choice?

3.  Once you have a combination of the two methods, do you stay in Ordered and then go with what the selection dictates ( steering wheel shows for Sync, edit bar shows for Ordered?

4.  In an assembly, do you primarily set the cursor to "Face Priority" once you have parts that are Syncronous or have some Syncrhonous features?

The one stumbling block I see when switching back and forth between modes is that the Ordered features disappear and you lose reference.  I can see why you wouldn't want the two methods fighting each other, but sheet metal is a case where I don't think I can go fully Synchronous.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
17 REPLIES

Re: Question about handling hybrid approach in sheet metal

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You've probably heard this but I find rounds, hems and thin walls problematic in sync. Not sure why jogs would be.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Great to have met you finally.

I find some procedural features are still locked in Ordered, and as you, and others, have discovered, there are consequenses to moving these to Sync.

For me, I just leave these, and all the others @bshand points out, to the later stages of the model....which takes away from the free flowing experience one gets with Sync.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ditto on meeting you, Kyle.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

It turns out one of the parts I'm working with is acting up.  There is some face or possibly faces that keep SE from doing a proper conversion to a sheet metal part.  I'll need to dig into that issue some more.  On a sheet metal part created from scratch, SE can do a Synchronous jog with no problem.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

One thing I'm noticing is that Synchronous seems to create jogs differently than Ordered.  I'm having issues getting Syncrhonous to allow a 1 metal thickness jog offset using 16 ga.  I'll see if I can post a couple of images tomorrow to illustrate the differences.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Kyle,

I recall there was a topic on this Sync Jog's some time back......

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend
Don't forget you can always select those ordered steps and move them to sync. You may lose some editing ability normal to ordered. I've been doing this a little bit as I try to make the sync switch, mainly in sheet metal
-Craig

PLM World Member Phenom

Sean,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll see if I can find the thread.  

Here is a comparison between an ordered jog and a synchronous jog.  In ordered, I can set the offset to 1 metal thickness.  In synchronous, it looks like the minimum is around 3 metal thicknesses (.191 dim for reference) without the feature failing.  Also, the jog is listed as two separate flanges.

Ordered Jog.JPG

Synchronous Jog.JPG

It seems like there are still some issues to work out regarding jogs.  So is the right approach to create ordered features and then move the ones that work best in syncrhonous to synchronous but always stay in ordered mode so ordered features don't disappear?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Kyle, 

The particular limitation is that you can have bend touching bend in Synchronous -- there has to be a small flat. This appears to be what you are running into.

But do note that you don't have to go back to Synchronous to make Sync edits. When you are in Ordered, just pick the face and you should get the Sync steering wheel/dims to edit. If you do not, there may be an ordered feature obscuring it on first locate -- you can use QuickPick to get to the sync face.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development