Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding torus features

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I have a question regarding how torus features are handled in ST6.  When I generate a torus using two sketches followed up by a sweep procedure, the dimensions of the torus itself has major and minor diameters that are defined by those two sketches.

For example, if I draw a 4" circle in the X-Y plane and place a 0.125" circle on the Z-X plane which intercepts the diameter of the 4" circle, a sweep will create a torus (or ring) with a major diameter of 4" and a minor diameter of 0.125".  

When the feature is made, these values do not appear to be explicitly dimension-able in synchronous mode.  I can click the "Torus" call out when I highlight the feature and change the major and minor diameters here but I would like to be able to do this in the "variables" environment and have a higher degree on control over these values (naming them explicitly, using them in formulas, etc) in relation to other variables.  I may be missing something rather simple here but I am not sure how to proceed.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Question regarding torus features

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you are creating a circular torus (and not a obrounded shape), then I would create it using a revolve.

In the sketch, draw your circle and use the center axis of the sketch place as the axis of rotation.  You can get the ID, OD, and torus dia with a single sketch element and a few dimensions.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your response.  I am creating circular toruses in this project.

I have tried that method as well and the same problem persists; the dimensions for the major and minor diameters appear only as values changeable in the torus protrusion feature itself and cannot be named or changed in the variables tool.  Am I missing something else here perhaps? 

Note please that I am sketching two lines when I try your method:  First, a named line "Ring_Radius" which starts at the origin and then a circle named "Wire_Diameter" located at the end of "Ring_Radius" which is the minor diameter of the torus that is drawn by the revolution protrusion.  The resultant torus has a major diameter of 4" and the minor diameter is 0.125" however I cannot assign these values to an explicitly named dimension that I am aware of.

Thanks again,

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @mooreppj 

You mentioned to be in sync.

So if You have created the torus - btw no need for the major circle - You should be able to directly click onto that torus to see the two radii in a value field for editing.

regards
Wolfgang