Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick view of a large assembly?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to view large assemblies quickly. i have an assembly which currently takes 15 mins to load up. how can i open it so it doesnt take so long. (SW has a large assembly mode which is very quick to load large assys, is there something similar?)

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)
17 REPLIES

Re: Quick view of a large assembly?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Solid Edge has a large assy mode as well.   You define the # of parts that define Small and Large...  the Middel is defined in between.  

See your open dialog 

3-5-2018 10-28-29 AM.png

you customize your settings in Options

3-5-2018 10-29-58 AM.png

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

In addition to @Johnson_BigMatt's suggestion you can open an assembly with everything hidden and then selectively unhide what you want to see in the pathfinder.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Johnson_BigMatt thanks, i have just checked, my defaults are already set to that. it still takes that long even with those settings. 

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)

Phenom
Phenom

@MagRiz I see that all the answers so far have been specific to using Solid Edge CAD.

My question is simple. Is the intent to only view the assembly?

If so are familar with the viewing tools that are available? 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @RyanM

if considering ST10 with the viewer is Solid Edge too,
then there will be no more difference for further considerations.

And I believe that the old viewers even were slowlier than Solid Edge itself.

What man can take in consideration is, that other software will decrease the speed, e.g. antivirus, etc.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcad If viewing is all that is required then maybe JT is the better way to go. Especially with JT ULP (ultra-light precision) it's about 1/10 the amount of data to load vr the brep data.

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hello Ryan,

the answer for fast and quick viewing with real big asm (more than 10 GB used workspace) is JT.

The Solid Edge Viewer ST... up to 9 was only 32 bit. Now the new one is in real Solid Edge so the limitation is hear the native asm format that makes it slow.

For this now it is as freeware from Siemens to use JT2Go 11 in 64 bit, or Teamcenter Visualization.

The better way has to be to change from Siemens the Solid Edge Viewer also to the JT2Go kernel. The Solid Edge Viewer now is for big plants useless.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Correct TC Vis is what I was thinking as well. The correct tool for the correct job. We still need to hear back from the original poster of the questions as to what the "job" really is. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@RyanM

Hi, yes the job is to only view the assembly. Im not sure what other software you are referring to, that i should use. Is one of them JT2Go?

See i think it could also be slow due to it being on the company servers rather than my local drive. 

Regards,

MagRiz
(ST9 User Est 01.18)