RAL Classic colour palette for face styles

[ Edited ]

Recently had a request for a RAL Classic colour palette for face styles.  Although Solid Edge currently does not provide an OOTB RAL colour palette it is possible to create your own custom RAL colour palette.

Attached is an ST6 part file and material library containing face styles for the RAL Classic colour palette.

All face styles were derived from converting the associated RGB values for each colour.

The RAL Classic colour palette RGB values were taken from http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp

[had to zip the material.mtl file as it is a blocked file extension]

8 REPLIES

Re: RAL Classic colour palette for face styles

I know I'm bumping an old post, but I have a couple of questiions about this:

1. How was this created?  This contains over a 100 face styles.  Surely these weren't entered one a time (via Styles > New), as that would have been very time consuming.  But I'm not aware of any automated way of doing this.

2. If I want to have different face style "libraries", can I just create separate *.mtl files for each library? I assume then I would just use the style organizer to copy over the one I want to use.

I actually have a need for this right now and have been struggling with how best to define and organize different color palettes.  So I'm anxious to learn how this was done.  Thanks!

Actually there was quite a bit of work that went into creating all 213 face styles.

Firstly I had to find a resource listing all of the RAL colour names and RGB codes.

I then dumped that web page out to an Excel file.

After cleaning up the Excel file I then had to create an Excel macro to convert all 213 RAL colour codes from RGB to Solid Edge colour codes.

I then dumped the converted spreadsheet out to a text file.

I then wrote a macro to read in the values of the RGB colour names and codes from the text file into Solid Edge and create the face styles in the material library.

@uk_dave

I love this sentence from you:

"After cleaning up the Excel file I then had to create an Excel macro to convert all 213 RAL colour codes from RGB to Solid Edge colour codes"

Why doesn't Solid Edge use "standard RGB codes"? Man Frustrated

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

[ Edited ]

Because then I wouldn’t have job security creating solutions such as this Smiley Wink

But seriously, I have no idea why Solid Edge doesn't use standard RGB codes.  Most probably legacy code and it would take an effort to update, an effort that at the end of the day would most probably provide minimal return.

uk_dave wrote:

Because then I wouldn’t have job security creating solutions such as this Smiley Wink

....OMG, I litterally sprayed coffee at that! Robot LOL

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Smiley Wink

What company is your employer? Smiley Very Happy

Thnx my friend!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Good work, We have the RAL colours for years now but they are a bit old with the colours.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Double check, the colours are the same. But you have the names behind it, so that is more helpfull. So thank you very much. Kudo given Smiley Wink

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10