RM CC4 silent install error. femapapi.exe

Creator
Creator

Hi Folks

I've created a RM CC4 network package and seem to be having issues when trying to deploy the application.  I've taken the standard Install files from the download and just added a MST file to add the licence data to the install.  This works fine when  do a silent install from the CMD promps but when I import the package to the CC4 netowork deployment tool the application looks to fall over near the end of install.  The package doesn't complete the install and looks to be populating the interactive services popup.  Something must be going wrong in the background.

When checking the application logs I get

Event ID  1000

faulting application path c:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Simulation\x64\femapapi.exe

faulting module path c:\windows\system32\MSVCR100.dll

I seen another post similar on the forum but no one responded.  Anyone running CC4 Network managed to deploy ok?

6 REPLIES

Re: RM CC4 silent install error. femapapi.exe

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So are you running the Solid Edge "setup.exe" in your package or are you running the "Solid Edge ST7.msi"?  Also, do you copy the package locally before running it or do you run it off of a server location?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

Hi

So using the MSI and the software gets copied from the server to a temp area on the local station, extracted then run. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So you are probably missing some prerequisites which do not get installed when running the MSI.  I would run the Setup.exe.  You can run it silently using the string: setup.exe" /s /v"/qn" /v"MYTEMPLATE=4"

The /v pipes the next quoted string to the MSI so the /s sets Setup.exe to run silent while the /v"/qn" simply pipes the /qn string to the MSI to run silent with no UI.  The  /v"MYTEMPLATE=4" obviously pipes the template setting to the MSI.

Thanks,
Ken

Creator
Creator

I would normally agree with that theory but my question would be, why does the install work correctly using the MSI when running from the CMD prompt?  I've also ran this more than once on the same station using the setup.exe, this would install any dependent application at the time and as far as im aware dependencies do not get removed on de-install as this could potentially stop other applications from working.

I'll try using the setup.exe for my pacakge and let you know it this works.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That is a good point Mike.  If the MSI installs by hand, then it should install using your script.

Another possibility is what context does your RM CC4 system install software under?  Could it be that it isn't actually running under an elevated Administrator account?

Thanks,
Ken

Creator
Creator

It uses a system account, or the equivalent Full admin rights.

Just thinking about it, so the system account executes the msi, it gets near completion the msi then try's to execute some kind of custom action at install finalise, this populates the cmd prompt for a second and this I believe is the point of failure.

I'll check this out on Monday when back at work, see what's getting executed.