RULE FOR CUTTING SHEET METAL PLATE

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi folks,

I have one problem with understanding in Solid Edge.

I work mostly with Sheet Metal. When I design some Sheet Metal Plate, a have to know is it possieble that cut or not for fabrication, and other Engineer told me about that to check every time is it 45 degree edge of flat pattern because tool cut Sheet Metal diagonally.

If someone (who is Engineer and have experience with design Sheet Metal real work can explain me how do I know is it something possieble to cut or not

Thanks,

14 REPLIES

Re: RULE FOR CUTTING SHEET METAL PLATE

Phenom
Phenom

You have to understand the tooling being used.

shear, break, folder, rolling, plasma, etc...

And the most difficult part, knowing what bend radius is created for the combination of each machine and each gage of material.

In general the simpler the better. SE has a tentency to create flat patterns that are not crip. This is my main fight w/ Solid Edge. For example, add a 45 deg side angel to a flange. The cut in the flat pattern is NOT a chamfer.....BAD.

Pioneer
Pioneer

we use in most case plasma . is there any PDF file for explaination about this or youtube video. 

It is easy to design something but when I get call from fabrication than there is problem, so other guys are in desgin department years and years then me and I just started before 1 month , but I work hard and want to know more.

If you have time or skype we can talk also I can pay you for this explaination as this is very important for me. 

I am free every day from 19 :00 pm to 23:00 pm Monday - Friday

I am in England , here is 16:07

Thanks

Genius
Genius

I am not aware of a quick way to learn all about shears, brakes (proper spelling), lasers, plasmas, punches, etc.

It might be of value to ask if you can spend time in the shop, and work with the skilled people that have done this for years, and honed their skills. As the old saying goes, "if it was easy, everyone could do it". Get a pair of steel toe boots, some safety glasses, a pair of gloves, and learn from the experts.

There could very well be some information the shop should be sharing with you. What tooling do they have for punching, and for what gauges? What Brake tooling do they have, and when is it used? There's much to learn, if you are new to this environment!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Jasmin_power,

Do you have an example 3D file to share, of what is reported to be not desirable?......maybe it's all about the command sequence used, in order to match a manufacturing process.

There are numerous ways to produce a result, and there is no one fixed method, because not all shops are equipped the same.

We "normally" laser cut all of our profiles here, but if we were to punch [or shear] only, our profiles, then the models would be created differently to suit that.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Take a look at the attached file. Simple tab w/ two flanges.

The flange that uses the side angle are not desireable flat patterns because they are not crisp.

The other side I did using unbend, cut rebend. Then I get the desired flat pattern.

Flat patterns that are not crisp are difficult to draft and destroy our punch tooling.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @12GAGE illustrates my point.....the design is only as good, as it's ability to match the manufacturing process employed.

I have, on a few occasions, added features to the flat pattern [Flatten] model to achieve production results, that I didn't want to have in the folded 3D model alone, or when used in an assembly.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend

In my opinion you need to know the manufacturing process first, then design around that process.

No offense to @12GAGE but don't knock the way SE makes a cut. Pefect world you'd tell SE I'm using a "laser" or "plasma" or "turret punch" to create parts. Punching software itself should be able to lay tooling as needed over a SE exported.dxf file.

Also note that in @12GAGE example the new cut edge is almost .020 away from the original, I'd forget the extra cut and instead add the material back into the bend area, I attached a sample. Also see that the material in the bend actually stick up above the 45° cut, perfect world it shouldn't be there, someone will have to grind off that material if a part is expected to sit perfectly flush against that 45° flange.

-Craig

Pioneer
Pioneer

Sorry guys but I don't understand your explaination. I am Mechanical Engineer and I have years and years spent with Manufacturing cnc machines in college but of course I don't have work experience . but that doesn't matter with SE. Only I want to know when I something design sheet metal how do I know is that correct or not for cut. Here is example which is correct and I don't understand how is this posseible cut or not with plasma.

We only need 2D ,not perfect 3D with unbend,rebend options for fabrication guys to make that . only good 3D Model and correct 2D with flat pattern , not sequences of options in 3D sheet metal is it flange or is it rebend.

If you can explain me this example2 --- I would be very very thanksful for this.

Thanks

Genius
Genius

I do not understand what you are looking for.

I will tell you, that drawing should have a dimension for the Brake operator to know where to form it, without having to get out a calculator to add numerous dimensions. You also have nothing for the Brake operator, or QA, to inspect and confirm the forming is within tolerance.