Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: RULE FOR CUTTING SHEET METAL PLATE

Pioneer
Pioneer

here is description for tolerance .

Why should be this complicate for you expert guys in solid edge. 

I make  all what I need and explain what I want to know and attached pictures , as how do I know is that corrrect to cut or not , and when I put line : diagonally that is not 45 degree, as other guy said to me should be 45 for cutting, and other guy said don't need to be 45 degree. I am honestly confused and, is there anyone with real experience with Solid Edge sheet metal in mechanical engineering company not freelancer solid edge designer from home or consultant company

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I do Knock the way SE makes sheet metal cuts. All sheet metal cuts should be normal to the K plane/axis by default where in reality is it imposible to make cuts normal to the K plane unless the cut portion of the sheet metal is flat. 

That was the point of showing how the side angle create a non crisp flat.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
I've spent almost 20 years in a sheetmetal job shop, they had turret punches and lasers, and a waterjet, Lases came about 15 years ago. The process of drawing never changed from punch to laser, maybe it's just me, but it seems as if your issue with SE is related to how you have to program your punches??
If you need the crisp corner for punch tooling to always have full metal contact I get that, but what about the guy that wants a bent corner to NOT stick up past the sheet edge? How would SE make that cut? You can't have both a crisp corner in the flat and also a bent edge that doesn't protrude past edge..
-Craig

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

example2  looks totally fine to me. Not sure who is telling you to check about a 45 edge. Maybe a better explanation from them about what isn't possibly is needed.

-Craig

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

There is no reason to be rude really. These guys are only trying to help you.

I am a mechanical engineer with 5 years experience. 

I have experience with waterjets, lasers and plasma.

I have never ever checked the drawings "diagonally". IF the flat pattern itself is what you actually want after the cut. The only things I normally check are if the part is "small" enough for the plate that will be used for cutting, which in most cases has been 3000mmx2000mm.

Also I am checking the holes, if they are big enough to be able to be cut with that type of cutting with the plate thickness.

You won't be able to cut small holes in the thick plates, so you are to drill them. 

I also have to check if the bending machine is strong enough for that type of material and plate thickness and length of bend. Otherwise I might have to split the part due to that.

Best Regards

Carl Gustaf