Random Drafting Bug

Pioneer
Pioneer

Just posting this to see if anyone else was having this issue, dont know if it's a SE issue or a setting on Windows.  I made a draft of an active part, and decided to change the naming convention of the assembly.  I titled the drawings the way I wanted and was then going to save as to change the name and save in a new project folder.  I highlighted the draft title block text and press "ctrl+C", which works for other things in the drafts, but SE freezes.  

8 REPLIES

Re: Random Drafting Bug

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Airscape,

It sounds to me like you really should be using revision manager for you copy/move/rename project.

While not totally clear on the full process you're doing, it sound like a link management issue, but odd in that it freezes Solid Edge. Do you make these PAR-PSM-ASM-CFG file name changes while still active in the draft of those?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Once you have links between files (Like part/assy/draft), to change file names, revision manager is the ONLY way to maintain all links.

Note: Whatever the top dog file is in the set of files, open that for editing in revision manager (for me, draft of the assembly). Sometimes you will have 100's of files listed in revision manager to edit one name 4 levels down.

If any have other methods, I want to know them!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Airscape,

There are always more than one way to skin a cat. Often rev man is the most efficient. But I need more clarity on what you're doing. For instance, what is driving your draft title block test?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

I dont think it's a link problem.. I've never used revision manager and have never had this problem before... but playing around I seem to only be getting this with one particular draft.  the background template sheet for this draft just really does not like ctrl+C and ctrl+V.  

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean you are just doing a text edit in the background sheet?

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OH....maybe it is a corrupt older SE version background sheet.... you might need to copy/paste your views,etc.....onto a NEW draft template, to eliminate it as a cause.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

yah I ended up just redo-ing the draft in a new drawing.. often faster than debugging, but i saved the draft with the error for later when i want to try and pinpoint what caused it.  

bshand i was doing just a text edit.. really couldnt figure out, and oddly it was specific to that specific text block.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"bshand i was doing just a text edit.. really couldnt figure out, and oddly it was specific to that specific text block."

Seems like @SeanCresswell's answer should be marked as the solution.

Bruce Shand