Really dumb question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

On st5. trained on st7. when creating a new assembly my assemble button is greyed out! I have a "create part in-place available"......but that is not what I want?!?!

Wayne

5 REPLIES

Re: Really dumb question

Legend
Legend

You can't assemble anything if you don't have any parts in your assembly. First you have to add parts from your parts library.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Teemu! Not sure why I did not have to do that on st7?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's the same in ST7. Assemble is a mate tool which is meaningless without something to mate.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@cs2kplus What may have tripped you up in ST5 vs ST7, is that in ST5 the user has to kind of know that to start an Assembly you go to the Parts Library tab and start dragging in parts. We found this to be a hiccup for new users. So in ST7 we added an "Insert Components" button (right next to Create in Place and Assemble) which pulls out the Parts Library tab for you and makes this really obvious.

So probably going back to ST5 you were missing this button and that is what threw you for a loop!

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Dan, EXACTLY!. Coming from Pro/e world as well - basically you do the same. So stepping back to st5 def thru me. Thanks!