Recognize Hole Pattern

Am I missing something with this function.  It does not seem to work for me.  I have an assembly with a bunch of holes in a face.  On one side of the part they were created with the hole command and then I mirrored them across a plane.  Now within assembly I try to use the recognize hole pattern function, and it won't let me pick anything.

6 REPLIES

Re: Recognize Hole Pattern

The purpose of Recognize Hole Pattern is to find and automatically create Pattern features in parts which don't have a real pattern but look like they do -- for example, you import a block with a bunch of holes that LOOK like they form a rectangular pattern. The system will find this pattern and "make it so". 

So i am not sure exactly what you are after or why you are using it from Assembly? It is a part-based command. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I think I know what your talking about. anyway you show us what you're doing?

Here's how i see it, correct me if i'm wrong. If you want to use holes for pattern in the assy, do not mirror the holes in the part. This been like this for a long time. In part theres a pattern command. us that as much as posible. Then in assy you'll be able to pattern.

I realize that, but for this particular part mirroring them is the only way that I have available. I thought that pattern recognize within assembly might help solve this problem, so that you don't have to insert each fastener individually.

The recognize pattern function is only available in assembly. I don't even see where it is available in part creation. This function only seems to work if you have synchronous parts in your assembly. Otherwise it will not allow you to pick the holes.

The part does have a pattern command for holes and ect. Now in assy there are differnt ways of patterning something. One way is using scketch cobinend with the pattern command.

http://www.screencast.com/t/ihyPoKEE