Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recomendations on Changes to the Program

Creator
Creator

Recomendations on Changes to the Program

I have been using Solid Edge Student for a while and I would like to recommend at least one change to the way things are done in the program.

The recomendation I have has to do with the use of the cursor.

I would like to be able to use the cursor for more things than selecting the plain that I want to extrude .

1.   The use of the cursor should be selectable.

Selectable as in I should be able to select a plane, lock a plane, unlock a plane, turn off or on the wheel and extrude functions as well as do other functions controled by the cursor function.

This could be done by simply adding it to the right click window that pops up when the right mouse button is activated.

It would also be nice for the user to be able to add or remove functions as needed to said window by simply going to a button at the top of the window.

2.   Another thing I would like to see in the program which would make drawing things easier would be to have concentric circles with the same numbers of flats and points in each circle.

That way if they were all drawn on the same orentation a line could be drawn through all the points or flats by just starting your line on an inner circle point and ending it on the outer circle point with the line traveling through the same points of the other circles similar to what is used in Google Sketchup.

3.   I would also like to see an extrusion option that would work like the Follow Me extrusion function in Google Sketchup.

4.   Another thing I would also like the ability to import my drawings from Google Sketchup that I have already made so I do not have to draw them all over again but would have the ability to modify them.

5.   Something else that would be nice would be once we bought or could prove we were working for a company that had a licensed Solid Edge program we would be able to import the things we had made in the student version.

Thank you for looking at and considering my recomendations.

14 REPLIES

Betreff: Recomendations on Changes to the Program

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hello,

sometimes I have used Sketchup too.

The export to STL is direct possible and an STL file can be direct import to Solid Edge.

Importing of little STL are not a problem. Bigger STL are only possible in Solid Edge 9 (10 is not working here fine).

Next format for me is IFC. If you use Sketchup Pro you can export IFC. (Textures are not possible to export).

Other help are converter tools. Okino and Simlab has create direct step exporter for Sketchup (Pro?).

Or you use as an example pcon-planner this is also a both way from Sketchup to SE and from SE to Sketchup.

Here it can be a help also to use SALOME-8.3.0-WIN64 and CAD assistant both from Open CASCADE Technology.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

Re: Recomendations on Changes to the Program

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Good recommendations about the reference plane.

Do you have a picture of the concentric circle feature from Sketchup ?

Also the Follow Me type of extrusion is called Sweep in Solid Edge.

You can use the command finder at the bottom of the SE window to find where it is located.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.IN

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Posting this here does not get reccomendations into the system. To do that, you have to call GTAC and submit files, examples, and descriptions so they can decide if the change is one to use prgramming resources on. So each items will take 30  min to an hour to prepair, then the time to get it filed.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

great to see Your post again and Yes I absolutely can agree to that what You have said.

I also think, that only post complaints/wishes here is a little to less.

Man need examples, reasons and benefits for what chanegs or enhancements can bring later.

And I also think, that only for another software is doing something in a special way, this alone is to less to bring it into Solid Edge too.

This will not mean that everything with SE is best, but the same will be true for SketchUp too.

I also see the targets a little bit different, therefoe the software can be used different too.

But again, any enhancement is welcome!

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I, for one, would like Solid Edge to keep doing things more the way it has been, and stay away from anything that remotely resembles sketch up. I had to do a project in sketchup at one time. I have to say the way edge currently works, or even going back to V18 was far better than what sketch up does.

In case you want to know to what extent I used it on that project,here's a pic of the model.

IMG_20130330_194509.jpg

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Looks rather Rube Golbergian.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Like Mousetrappy? Yeah, these days we can't get just a regular rectangular public pool around here. All the swimming spots have crap like this. If you want to do lap swimming around here, you're gonna have to deal with some giant turtle turning over periodically and dumping a bunch of water on you, and a bunch of dang kids trying to grab onto you like you're a floaty toy. I miss the days when you went to the pool, and if it was an awesome pool it had a high-dive.......not some octopus thing that kids can use to spray you in the eyes while their parents sun-tan and don't tell them to stop.....

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Gentelman please however, Sketchup is a first step to architectural Layout not for extreme Detailing.

Solid Edge is more for Detailing and not an easy first architectural Layout.

Both can not as an example good plan big plants for industry.

So every type of CAD (Design) has his special field.

Here a Combination of Solid Edge, Teamcenter Visualisation, Tekla and in additional Sketchup Smiley Wink

true.jpg

Creator
Creator

The one with the two color background is Sketchup the other is Solid Edge.

In Sketch up all the points and flats line up in every circle.

For me it makes it easier to line things up that I am trying to creat.

The Solid Edge Nothing lines up so it makes it more difficult to get things right.