Solved! Go to solution

Redefine views in model

I have a STEP file that I imported from McMaster Carr that is oriented wrong in the part file (Top view is actually front of the part).  In SolidWorks I can redefine the views and change that behavior.

I see there is an option in "View Orientation" called "Redfine to Current", but Ive never been able to get it to work at all.  Basically I want to tell Solid Edge that for this particular model file, I want the original "Top" view to become the front view. 

Is this possible?

4 REPLIES

Re: Redefine views in model

[ Edited ]

What you observed in the View Manager dialog is correct. If you redefine, say the view from the front direction as the "Top" view, it will orient only when accessed from the Named Views dialog, where you originally created it.

Using the shortcut keys like Ctrl+T or Ctrl+F, etc. or the buttons on the ribbon View Tab - Views group will exhibit default Solid Edge behavior.

As a workaround, try window selecting the entire model and rotate using the steering wheel - if required multiple times until you get the required orientation, as shown in video below:

(Note: Use Shift+Click on the blue transparent plate in the middle of the Steering Wheel to reorient it)

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author lifofadrafter
‎06-29-2017 08:20 AM

(view in My Videos)

I would typically use the Steering Wheel and rotate it 90 degrees.  Look at prompts at the bottom of the screen for ways to re-orient the SW, if necessary.  In the video, I hold down Shift to maintain the orientation and then drag the origin of the SW to snap to Base Coord Sys. to rotate about the center of the model.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Hello, As Tushar and Kevin mentioned, Synchronous makes this very easy.  I import a lot of files from McMaster Carr (nuts, bolts, etc.) and typically end up reorienting them.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Thats what I done! It worked great.