Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redefining Links

Creator
Creator

Hi guys,

I recently was out of town without internet connection for a couple days and still wanted to create an assembly while I was gone. I copied over some of the parts that I was using in my assembly to a local folder and now I am trying to link these parts back to their original file location on our server. This is all in an unmanaged environment.

I have tried to use the redefine link tool in the design manager, however this is not working for me for some reason. I put in the current link path as the file path for the folder on my computer and then the redefine link path to the file location on the server. Then on the 'look in' screen i selected all the parts on my computer that I am trying to redefine. After it runs the number of documents processed is equal to the number of items i selected to be redefined but the number of links repaired is zero. When i review the results it shows that both parts were processed from their original location but it says no replacements were made and it has no referrence to the file that it was supposed to be looking in to find these replacements.

Is there something I am missing here, it seems like this should be a straight forward process but for some reason I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Redefining Links

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you paste the assy into the folder on the network, then open from there...  SE should rebind all the links due to the "CONTAINER > RELATIVE > ABSOLUTE"   setup in the LinkMgmt.txt file.   Once this rebinds to the parts on the network you can copy and paste the assy back to its native location and the links will be remembered; again...  due to LinkMgmt.txt

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Creator
Creator

Can this approach be used if the files in the assembly are in different folders. Can I just move the assembly into the appropriate folders 1 by 1 to relink all the files?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you read the links that @Johnson_BigMatt provided I think this is a pertinent paragraph for your question:

"If you do not know where the documents exist, you can add Search Paths to the LinkMgmt.txt file.  The folders listed between the keywords Begin Search Path and End Search Path are used to look for the links. Solid Edge recursively searches the subfolders of the specified folders. Once a document of the same name is found, the link is resolved.  When a file exists in more than one location, Solid Edge reports the file in the last path in the list."

If you know what paths it should be looking in add them to the linkmgmt.txt file.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200