Reduce file size (100 000 holes)

Creator
Creator

Hello, 

I am supposed to make a plate with around 4500 holes, then use a total of 20 plates that looks like this in an assembly. However this will lead to a huge file. Is there any way to reduce the file size or do this in any other way? I do need to have the holes there since the drawing will then be used to create a dxf for the laser cutter. 

Thanx, 

Gustav

14 REPLIES

Re: Reduce file size (100 000 holes)

Phenom
Phenom

GustavK wrote:

Hello, 

I am supposed to make a plate with around 4500 holes, then use a total of 20 plates that looks like this in an assembly. However this will lead to a huge file. Is there any way to reduce the file size or do this in any other way? I do need to have the holes there since the drawing will then be used to create a dxf for the laser cutter. 

Thanx, 

Gustav

100 000 holes cutted by laser ? It will cost a fortune !

I do usually buy sheets already with holes for this purposes.

About the hole reductions, wouldn't be more fast to create the hole in the DXF itself ?

Just my 2 cent.

Francesco

Phenom
Phenom

You can simplify your parts and assembly to work smoother.

Just use the designed files for dxf creation.

@Fiorini maybe they use a laser/punch machine? 

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

Joris wrote:

You can simplify your parts and assembly to work smoother.

Just use the designed files for dxf creation.

@Fiorini maybe they use a laser/punch machine? 

100 000 holes, realistically talking it is something like a mesh\filter, I doubt it will be different than any already existing pattern, or even if it will be different will it make any difference in the usage ?

I would like to know the production process and the usage of that items.

At my factory I will have:

to cut\punch 100 000 holes one by one, let's say it need 2 seconds per hole we will have:

100 000 s of cut\punch time that are

1666 minutes that are

almost 28 hours

let's say the machine cost 50$ per hour we wil have:

1400$ of machining costs and the machine busy for 2 days.

In my production environment that would be not acceptable at all.

Creator
Creator

Ok, so these around 100 000 holes will be calculated to open up a sertain area of the plate for water to flow through at an exact rate. Sure there might be some existing plate that you could buy. However when talking to our manufacturer they prefered cutting the holes them selvs and making the bottom aswell as the edges (folded up about 300mm without holes) in one piece rather then buying a pre fabricated bottom and then weld on the edges.

So this is not the problem, the problem is simply to make a model that is workable with all the holes or if the only solution is to add the holes in the dxf file itself.

Phenom
Phenom

2 seconds per punched hole?? Maybe laser holes, but punch?

I don't know the exact ratio, but when I hear a machine punching holes it sounds like a machine gun.

On topic:

Have you tried with simplified?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

Joris wrote:

2 seconds per punched hole?? Maybe laser holes, but punch?

I don't know the exact ratio, but when I hear a machine punching holes it sounds like a machine gun.

On topic:

Have you tried with simplified?

Yes sorry I did mean for laser cut not punching.

I'm trying to make a part just to evaluate it, forgot to swith from SMART to FAST and had to wait a lot of time to get the control back, im trying to make 4600 holes, so the editing time for the part is slow at least during creation\modify.

I haven't tryed in Synch yet, maybe the fill region ?

I personally like the idea to have 3D models that rapresents exactly what the reality is, but in this case probably the DXF edit approach is more efficient.

Phenom
Phenom

I've modelled something similar before - that many holes will cause SE to churn every time the history tree is updated which is no fun.  

That said, if you're willing to put up with that while designing it, then when you're finished use the simplify function and do a tab that covers all the holes to fill them in so that when you're using the part in assemblies then SE doesn't have to worry about the detail.

Genius
Genius

I hope you are trying this in Synchronous.  Synchronous is much faster with patterns than Ordered.  I tested this out months ago and found that modifying a very large pattern, probably 10,000 holes, took seconds in Synchronous versus several minutes in Ordered.  

@Joris has a good point.  Simplyfying the part will also help speed up the process if you don't need to always display every hole.  You can toggle between Simplified and Designed.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

simplyfying would be one way to reduce the file size, another could be to simply suppres the pattern feature.

This also should reduce the file size after saving a lot.

regards
Wolfgang