Reducing number of faces (imported model)

Phenom
Phenom

I have a model of a rail vehicle seat imported from a step file.

Originally the file came in as lots of part copies but I managed to sort throught them and stitch them together to make a solid. During this process I had to adjust the stitch tolerance to the maximum value.

There are many small surfaces in the model and this results in many faces on the solid, hence a file size over 20MB.

Is there a way to quickly reduce the face count (without having to manually create new surfaces), as with many of these seats in my assembly it really impacts on drawing updates.

I know I can use the simplify commands but people like to see a 'real' seat outline on the drawings.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.
6 REPLIES

Re: Reducing number of faces (imported model)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

A trick I use for this is to model an envelope around the imported geometry using Sync Part modeling in the ASM context.

Basically you place the imported part in an ASM. Create a new part in place and then you can model the new part using the faces of the imported part. Create a solid and then use replace face etc. from the imported part. Inter-part copy and thicken the faces etc.

While IPA into the Sync Part you can select planar faces, edges etc from the other part to make extrusions and cuts. You can even boolean geometry from the imported part into the new part. (We still have some work to support using B-spline surfaces, you may have to copy and thicken these OR use Syns Replace face)

Depending on the imported data I have found this is much easier than trying to fix (stitch) imported data to a single solid(s). For example.

I used this method to go from 260 MB of surrfaces:

Imported.JPG

To 10.5 MB of solids only

Enclosed.JPG

I spent about a day working on this to develope methods etc. on how to deal with this type off imported geometry.

Now that you have a new model "clean" solid. This is the one use place in your ASMs.

If you are using PDM the end result is WAY less of a load on the system.

This method works great for purchased ASMs of all kinds. It gives you the control you need to model what is important and what you can just represent as a box.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Art

Phenom
Phenom

That seems a good option.

I'll give it a try, maybe as an assembly simplify first.

If that doesn't work I'll create simplified versions of the parts.

I could always then have an assembly config for the detailed and simplified versions.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Hey Art,

That model looks familiar!   Smiley Tongue

I spent a good 8 hours fooling around with different methods of reducing file size on that assembly so I could actually activate and show it in my frame assembly without killing my computer. And it looks like you blew by my end result by several dozen MB!

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Legend

Yes, I pulled this down from the old BBS. Hope you don't mind.

As you know the geometry in this model was terrible. Cones faceted into triangles, really bad edges, b-spline faces that should have been planes, ugly rounds etc.

I like the model around/over method because I can remove all that stuff. It can take a little work but in the end you get some data that is usable. (Pay me now or pay me later)

Now I just need some free time to build a car to put this in. Maybe for SEU 15

Thanks,

Art

Phenom
Phenom

I've been trying without luck to get a better version of the model. They yanked out the cylinder head geometry and intake. 

And something like this?

12-28-13 Final Frame3.jpg20140520_190107.jpg

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Legend

Way cool!!

To get that far it may have to be SEU 16 or 17 for me.

-Art