Reference planes vs. Implied coordinate system planes

Reference planes vs. Implied coordinate system planes.

I post this to help other avoid this issue. There is difference between reference planes and Implied coordinate system planes.

The reference planes are available to turn off and on in the tree

The Implied coordinate system plane are never in the tree, and only turn on when in a command that requires a plane and you are graphically picking close to the origin.

This is important because along the Y axis:

The coordinate system plane offsets are + in the direction of the arrow.

The reference planes offsets are - in the direction of the arrow.

For the past two years, I have had to think of the Y arrow as negative because I was not aware that reference planes and coordinate system planes were not identical.

In the X (YZ plane) axis or Z (XY plane) axis, they both are the same when offsetting a parallel plane.

12 REPLIES

Re: Reference planes vs. Implied coordinate system planes

12GAGE,

I don't see how you get this.

If you create a plane parallel to a co-ordinate system plane or a base reference plane and enter a positive value the side that it is placed just depends on the cursor position.

If you enter a negative value, the side flips to the opposite of the cursor position.

If you just move the cursor without entering the value, the offset shown in the toolbar is always positive.

Whatever you do, the variable table just shows a positive offset value for the plane offset.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post or this is something new in ST8 ?

We haven't updated from ST7 yet - waiting for a few more bugs to get ironed out ;-)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Hi,

no I also don't see that behaviour here in the ST8

Works fine for me too!

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

What's not to get?

When placing a parallel planes from the base planes, Y+ is in the direction of the arrow

When placing a parallel planes from the reference planes, Y+ is opposite of the arrow direction.

For X and Z, + is the same

I am on ST7, current version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQoCm9M5aW0&feature=youtu.be

[ Edited ]

@12GAGE, FYI: the video is restricted as private.

Edit: I wanted to see it because I don't understand the problem you're having.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I still don't see this.

For me the + offset is always the side of the plane the mouse is placed.

(Sorry 12gage, I can't view the video)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

My bad, The link has been updated to public. This is the only thing I upload vids for.

I'm sorry @12GAGE, I don't get it. Adding parallel planes from either reference or base behaves the same as far as I can tell...always positive wherever the cursor is positioned. And when creating or editing the view typing in a negative number it works the same. It's very dependent on which side of zero the cursor is on.

Bruce Shand

For me, the cursor position has nothing to do with the planes position being + or -. In all cases the planes position is + in the direction of the coordinate system arrows with the exception of Y from a ref plane. In that case it is -.

All I can do is shrug, @12GAGE, I don't see a difference. Or I don't understand you.

Bruce Shand