Relating Parts to Assy

When relating a part in assembly - for example a block mated to a block....one block has a hole...I make the one without active and want to put a hole concentric to the other block. Seems like I can not relate to other part??? I've see it done where a sketch is done in the assembly where its tied to the block with the hole, then on block without the hole it is active and made concentric to the assy sketch. Kind of a round about way of doing it.

Now in Pro/e - there is a restriction as well not to reference to another part model. This is a hairy thing in Pro/E where you get in a circular reference thing that is a heated debate all by itself. However - in config file you can remove the restriction. Perhaps same in SE?

4 REPLIES

Re: Relating Parts to Assy

Maybe you mean the inter-part options settings.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

That's looking like a BINGO bshand! Thanks. I will have to try.

[ Edited ]

Also make sure "peers" is selected (if you want to relate features across parts) when in-place editing. You can always delete the relation and dimension directly to the part after you've established the position. Usually a good thing to do in largish assemblies before things get circular and conflicting.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Cool. Very much like Pro/e. In Pro/e its powerful in design mode. Once the design is stable, disconnecting is a good idea because of circular references (at least thats what they are known as in Pro/e). It really only is a problem when replacing components or copying files. Especially in a PDM environment. In Pro/E there are also techniques call skeletons that basically transfer/piggyback knowledge via a skeletal layout.

Thanks again B!