Relation between lines and planes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi:

This is my first post on this community. I’m from Spain and I have a low/ medium level using Solid Edge. One problem I have found with this software is how to make two lines “Co-plane” or co-linear. (I work in Synchronous type and ST7) . It is easy to do with cylinders or cones, but not with simple lines. Here you can see an example:

https://youtu.be/O6gbXZQ4pko

First I try to put two points and give a horizontal/ vertical relation. But it is not possible to do. After I try to give a co-plane relation between a plane and a line, but it is not possible to do. The only way I know to do it is giving dimensions and a formula between dimensions.

Anybody knows a better way to do this? (I mena lines coplanar or colineal in the space) It is easy to do with surfaces or faces but not with lines...

Thanks in advance!.

7 REPLIES

Re: Relation between lines and planes

Phenom
Phenom

You shouldn't have to use the point function for pretty much anything to be honest.

It looks like the sketching snaps are not turned on?  Check the 'IntelliSketch' group under the 'Sketching' ribbon, and make sure that end points, centres etc. are selected. 

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

not familiar with sync but. i would move the one surface up close where it's suppose to be and then do a co-linear.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your response Alex. I do declare that I'm not much skill with SE. However, I think that point must be use for many thinghs. In my opinion this is very useful and without "points" it is not possible to fix some dimmensions. (I example a line has a fix distance with a plane, etc...)

And yes, The intelligentSketch parameters are Ok. I think that in SE you cant use 2D relations with 3D sketch. In the 3D space, relations between lines, are not allow. However maybe this is not true... 

Anyway thansk!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thansk for your response TDB. I think that it is not possible in SE to do a relation between plane and line. Actually this is the reason of my post. In the video I try to do this, but I only can pick planes and surfaces. I'm not allow to pick simple lines.

Phenom
Phenom

To make the axis of the cylinder lie on the planar face use 'Face Relate' and the Coplanar option.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry Angel, I thought you were trying to draw a sketch on the side, rather than align the edges.

As beach comber said, use the 'Face Relate' functions for relations in 3D - see my video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxEf2CVvwZY

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks alex!. You are right!. The relation is Horizontl / Vertical but in the 3D space. Now it is very clear.

Thanks for your help.