Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Relationship conflict

Experimenter
Experimenter
I know this is an old post but I have been having issues with almost this same problem. I am new to SE 2d and I am using the most recent version ST9. Just reinstalled because I was having problems. I have a building layout dft I am working on. I created a rectangle and I wanted to make it collinear to an existing column. However, every time I do this the column moves, not the new rectangle - this is not okay for obvious reasons. No matter which one I click first.
I tried to lock the entire column and then only part of it - when I do this, I get the relationship error. I don't think the column has any other constraints on it but I did not create the original document. Any help would be appreciated!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would assume that the rectangle may be constrained to something elese thus requiring the column to move to satisfy the relationship you are adding. Make sure the relationship handles are displayed and then create a localized screenshot showing the rectangle and column and post it here.  We can then help you diagnose the issue.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Experimenter
Experimenter

I did have 2 driving dimensions on the rectangle but have since deleted those and it still does not work. I would really like the columns to be locked since they cannot move in real life, but when I do it behaves strangely (I tried making the layer non-locatable, but then I cannot align anything to them). 

Here is the screenshot with handles (as far as I know) on the rectangle (the column is a rigid set when I click on it): 

I don't see anything from the pic.  Upload the SE file maybe...

Ken

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ken,

I just opened it up today after a restart (for another reason) and it worked as expected. The collinear function worked and the rectangle moved instead of the column. I also ended up making one the one column I wanted stationary collinear to another. However, now it seems I have a similar problem. In the uploaded image, the ~28" dimension needs to be 27". I go and change it and it moved the column! I have no driving dimension on the other right-hand vertical line. Why does it keep moving the column? 

How can I make the column layer stationary? I don't want to keep adding relationships to make the file slow and I am not advanced enough to understand "blocking" if that would even help (read somewhere on here about this). 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ken,

I just opened it up today after a restart (for another reason) and it worked as expected. The collinear function worked and the rectangle moved instead of the column. I also ended up making one the one column I wanted stationary collinear to another. However, now it seems I have a similar problem. In the uploaded image, the ~28" dimension needs to be 27". I go and change it and it moved the column! I have no driving dimension on the other right-hand vertical line. Why does it keep moving the column? 

How can I make the column layer stationary? I don't want to keep adding relationships to make the file slow and I am not advanced enough to understand "blocking" if that would even help (read somewhere on here about this). 

Use the Lock relationship to lock the column and keep it from being moved by the relationships.

Ken