Remove all links in a draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

As the topic says, I would like to remove all links from a draft.

There is this function that if you right click a view on a draft you can select "convert to 2D" and if you right click the parts list, you can "convert to table".

Atm you can't select several views, so if you have 30 views divided on several sheets, it will get abit timeconsuming. If you have alot of drafts you want to do this to.

Any ideas guys?

Many Thanks

Carl Gustaf

20 REPLIES

Re: Remove all links in a draft

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

i'm not sure what you woud like to achive , but what about to open DFT in "Inactive mode"?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would like to be able to save the draft, and have all the links removed.

So the draft will act like an autocad drawing.

This is how we revise our drafts as of today. We are a small company of only 2 engineers. 

The process is.

1. open the draft you want to revise.

2. make a revision and do all the updates.

3. Open the old draft and remove all the links to models, this is to ensure that there will be no updates to the draft and we will be able to see how the part looked exactly at that time. This also makes it possible to measure the part if needed.

Legend
Legend
I would recommend you to save your drawing as PDF for future records.

From the other hand, you could save your model as a new revision everytime you want to do some changes - it will keep your drawing to be active.

Or if you want to loose all links please change the location of your model to some Backup folder - then your drawing will loose the links.

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP12
;

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sadly, pdfs are not really accurate enough regarding measuring.

We do make PDFs of all drawings.

Saveing the model is ALOT of work, if it is an assembly incldueing several hundred parts!

I can't really change the location of the model, the model is supposed to be used for the new revision =)

//

Carl Gustaf

Legend
Legend
so , the only solution I could see is to save every Revision for every ASY and create similar action to the drawings - it will keep all drawings active.

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP12
;

Phenom
Phenom

Set the status of your draft files to 'Released'.

Then use Revision Manager or 'Save As' to create your new revision.

When in 'Released' state you can't save changes to a draft file. The views will not change unless updated.

There are macro's on the internet that will change the status in batch mode, or you can use Property Manager on whole folders full.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Do they need to be in draft format?  You could save obsolete drafts as dwgs/dxf and still be measureable and editable/viewable in 2d.

Matt

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the response, sadly the drafts will be a little bit messy and you will need to scale the views properly to make proper measurements :/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Sadly afaik you can't release a draft when the parts/assemblies are not released :/ 

Or can you?