Removing Cutouts from a Flattened Pattern

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am trying to produce a flattened view in draft mode of only my initial sheet steel (hiding cutouts, holes, etc.). The objective is to show individual manufacturing steps, so this would be a view for the shear.

I see that holes are simple to hide, as discussed in...

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Pre-vs-Post-flat-pattern/m-p/264455...

Is there an equivalent method for hiding cutouts?

I am using ST6.

Thank you,

Carl

15 REPLIES

Re: Removing Cutouts from a Flattened Pattern

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Carl,

No simple model based method [AFAIK] to retain both forms, with & without cutouts, from the same file, without using "Part Copy" duplicates.

I would suggest the easiest way to manage this is to use "Hide Edges" within the draft environment.

ST7_Draft_FlatPattern_NoCutouts_HideEdges.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

How about creating a suppression variable for the cutout feature?  Then create an assembly of the scene you wish to create the draft file from,  That assembly will contain a couple of instances of the same item.  One with the cutout shown and one with the cutout suppressed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

chrisstandring wrote:

How about creating a suppression variable for the cutout feature?  Then create an assembly of the scene you wish to create the draft file from,  That assembly will contain a couple of instances of the same item.  One with the cutout shown and one with the cutout suppressed.

Chris,

Will that method then control the flat pattern too, for use in the draft?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Sean,

The suppression variable will flow through to the flat pattern.  However, in this particular application you can get away without the flat pattern.  Just create some unbend features to flatten out the model and create suppression variables for them as well.  Then in the assembly for the draft file you can bring in a separate instance of the part for each stage in the manufacturing process (or for at least as many stages that you want to show on a drawing).  From there you can create the draft off the assembly and you are done.

See attached pictures showing the draft-assembly and the draft file.

Chris

Phenom
Phenom

If it was me, and the part is not likely to be edited much over time. I would just make a model of each state you want to show, then use each model for the views you want.

I would start with the finished part. then make copies and delete one feature, save. delete the next, save, etc until you have all the steps you with to display.

The down side of that is if you edit one, you must edit all. But at least that keeps things simple.

If the part does change over time, I would add links between the files forcing all to be the same.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Chris,

This seems to be a good solution. Question regarding what are you doing. You mention the following:

"Then in the assembly for the draft file you can bring in a separate instance of the part for each stage in the manufacturing process..."

How are you creating separate instances? Are the stages each different drawings? I am able to suppress the cutout, but this effects both the flat pattern and the finished component. What I trying to do, and believe that you have done, is have 1) a finished component in the assembly (your Step 3) and 2) 

12GAGE, 

One of the problems is that the part will be constantly changing. This is for a standard configuration of a part, though the dimensions will change depending on customer needs.

Phenom
Phenom

I was thinking about it from a drafting perspective. Bring in views from multiple model file at different stages of production.

This works badly if the part ever needs revised. The other methods are better.

Legend
Legend

Interesting approach to have different drawings for each operation in the shop. Never thought about this before, but what about doing a family of parts, and suppress features to make your Flat, Punched, Formed parts?

Just a thought, I'll be following this to see what other ideas are shared.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

I only break it down into two steps.

Cutting the blank (flat patterns)

folding the part (folding table, bend sequence, finished dimensions)

The most time consuming aspect is the folding table because the built in one does not include back gage and stick out.

The other issue to bring up here is how much freedome does the shop have? Do you want to nail them down to a process, or just specify the end result and let them get there how they want?

Only specifying the end product and the starting flat patterns allows the shop to get between the two as they wish. I don't care how they get there. They may use a sheer, punch, plaz, iorn worker, etc......