Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename a part Solid Edge with Teamcenter

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I created a 3d part and I want to change the name. I am working in TeamCenter so I cannot use Explorer to rename the file. How can this be done? 

I have searched here and on the Internet and have not come up with an understandable answer. Yes I can do a Save As in Solid Edge, but that keeps the original part and makes a copy, I would prefer to rename the part.

I have found references to something called Revision Manager, but I do not see this anywhere in my Solid Edge menus or toolbars.

15 REPLIES

Re: Rename a part Solid Edge with Teamcenter

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it structure manager or something like that with Teamcenter? It's been a while since I used TC.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What are you trying to rename in SEEC?  There is the Item, the Item Revision, the dataset, and the named reference (the actual underlying Solid Edge file).

Regardless, of which Business Object you are trying to rename, all of your renaming should occur within the Teamcenter RAC environment.  You try to do any of this from outside Teamcenter and you will FUBAR your data.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I found out from coworkers that it cant be done. You can only use save as to make a copy then submit request to IT to delete the original.

Siemens Phenom

Just to clarify, for other users reading this thread, it is technically possible to perform a rename of the Teamcenter objects as an end user. However, if your organisation has implemented Teamcenter such to prevent you from performing a rename then that is a specific configuration restriction and not a technical limitation. IMHO your response "it cant be done" tends to lead other users to think that this is a technical limitation in the software, which it most definitely is not.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Actually thanks for that clarification @uk_dave. I recall being able to do so a few years ago. No admin/IT involvement needed at that place. Plus, we'll be moving to TC with the demise of Insight in a couple of years and I'm glad to know I won't be handling mere renaming tasks.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi uk_dave.

We try so hard to rename in Teamcenter and SolidEdge+Teamcenter.

We can rename in Teamcenter these item : ITEM, ITEM master, ITEM Revision, ITEM revision master, Direct Model, SE Part.

But we cannot rename the Filename (SolidEdge name copy from Item ID when creating a part in Teamcenter)

Our supplier said that we cannot rename all the item because it' a limitation in Teamcenter.

Thanks

Michel

Canada

Siemens Phenom

@Moa when you say "filename" you are referring to the underlying named reference.

This named reference file name is already set on the existing Item.  Just because you have renamed the Item objects in the TC RAC then does not mean that that the underlying named reference somehow "automagically" rename themselves.

The underlying named reference most definitely can be renamed.  Simply rename the underlying named reference and you should then have what you desire.

Experimenter
Experimenter

That is the problem.

We don't know how to rename the underlying named reference.

We can rename all the other item with Teamcenter but we don't see where to find the underlying named reference.

Can you help us please ?

Where can we rename this underlying named reference. (filname).

We understand that the filename is use by Solid Edge because when we export (step, dxf, pdf) the filename we create take this filename. So the export file take the name .par or .psm of the Teamcenter/Solid Edge file name.

Thanks, Michel

Siemens Phenom

In the TC RAC select the SE dataset and right-click on it.

Select "Named References".

In the "Named References dialog then simply rename the filenames.