Rename

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is it possible to rename without using rev manager or windows?

11 REPLIES

Re: Rename

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Presuming you want to do this in assembly [or use Save As at part level],...have you tried using "Replace Part with Copy"?.....Right click on the part in assembly pathfinder, include other instances if wanted, then rename......done. [previous file still exists]

ST8_ASM_ReplacePartWithCopy.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Nice. Thanks Sean!

Can you swap part or assembly in drawing?

A little background here.....boss hates Rev Mgr. He claims he can do what he needs without it. I disagree....but.....

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

es, I have been watching the banter on this. Robot LOL

While I agree with the view, revision manager is "the cleanest way" to deal with these situations.... there is however, another way [sorry, I'm not meaning to add to your pain, by giving him ammo] to get this done at the draft level....what RM does, is combines all these individual steps, so the user doesn't have to go hunting for them.

This workflow does it's job well though, for satelite files that are typically unique instances.

In the application button, go to Manage > Edit Links..."Change Source"  I like to use the "Tree View" instead of the "List View".

ST8_DFT_EditLinks.png

ST8_DFT_EditLinks_Links_TreeView.png

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I agree the "edit links" is a nice option. Did you see my reply about the guy who called it "ghetto"? It works fine. It's kinda like a RM lite.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Further to this.....I'd like to see the same "Edit Links" capability add to the view dependant right click menu.....in order to exchange just the one view in a draft.

ST8_DFT_EditLinks_Links_RMB-ViewSelectMenu.png

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Your on st8?

i am still on St5. Man Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, ST8.....I have tended to move straight onto the latest release here, as soon as it is available to download.....so to avoid the wait for the DVD set to get posted out. 

If I recall correctly, this should all work the same in ST5. [not sure if tree view was though]

Sean Cresswell

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Sean!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just checked out your site. NIIIIICE! Vey cool products. Not the run of the mill.