Renaming and Moving files without broken links

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

A lot of problems with broken links are becaus of renaming and moving of files.

Here is a little Video that shows why the people love to work with Insight.

Insight is part of Solid Edge Classic so think about it.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de
22 REPLIES

Re: Renaming and Moving files without broken links

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to tell from the video whether you moved any files using plain old windows explorer. Seems like you did.

We have been told by our var and GTAC that it's better to avoid using windows explorer (even just for opening files) and use Sharepoint or SE functions like Rev Man.

Take it for what it's worth.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

The best way by far to rename a file is to open the assembly it is used in the Rev Manager. If the file is used in many assemblies and drawings you can do a "Where used" search and update all the files, all the ones you find, anyway. Otherwise you will lose links.

A great way to copy a file to make a revision in place in an open assembly is to use "Replace Part with Copy" in the Modify section of the Home tab under "Replace Part". Of course this only modifies the assembly you are in. To copy a part and update it in multiple assembly files I think you could use a "where used" search in rev man similar to renaming.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@lking I agree with you.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Legend

@bshand: You are right. It was the normal "Windows File Explorer" because it was to demonstrate that Insight still keeps the links even you just do it with the "Windows File Explorer".

All links in the Assembly or from the Draft are still fine!

Using the RevisionManger is always an option and the only one if you work without Insight.

Working with the "Drag&Drop" technique is very easy with the Windows File Explorer and Insight will handle it to to take care of the links. It is a unique feature and our customers are using it very extensively.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would like Siemens and VARs to come to, and state, a conclusive, unified policy on using windows explorer and Insight. As it is, advice is vague and contradictory. Until they do we will continue to avoid the use of windows explorer.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Stefan_Mitsch, drag & drop works fine if it is withing the same document library.  If you do that between document libraries, you have just corrupted your Insight data.  That is why GTAC says not to ever use Windows Explorer...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Legend

@Grundey: I tried it right away and I moved files from one document libary to another and it still worked fine.

All files are found and no broken links.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Stefan_Mitsch Doing that used to lose all of the document library properties like the selinkdata and sedocid.  Perhaps the newer SharePoint version (2013) is now maintaining these on cut/copy between document libraries...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Legend

@Grundey: All attributes are available. See picture. If not  it will not work and you will get the message "Parts are not added with RevisionManger".

The most important thing is to do a CTRL+X (Cut Out&Paste). If you do a Copy&Paste you will lose the necessary meta data.

2016-03-08 16_59_21-Supplier-B - Alle Dokumente - Internet Explorer.jpg

I did not check with SP 2010 but I will do this later.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de