Solved! Go to solution

Replace Part to mirrored component in assembly

Is there a way to mirror a component or sub-assembly, and then replace that part with a previously created Mirrored Part Copy?  My co-worker says in an older version of Solid Edge this was once possible. 

The purpose of this desired functionality is to avoid applying mates to both the right and left components from scratch.  I would like to mate one component within the assembly, then mirror it, but use a Mirrored Part Copy instead of the newly created mirrored part.

5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author tadpole
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Replace Part to mirrored component in assembly

[ Edited ]

When you mirror them an associative copy is made.  You cannot replace a component in the mirror in this case, however you can exclude components from the mirror and then place whatever you want back into the mirrored geometry as a newly placed part.  The other option is to drop the mirror and then you roughly get what you used to have, as your coworker has said, including no contraints.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Thank you very much for the reply.  At first I wasn't sure what you meant by "drop the mirror", but I found the option by right-clicking on the mirror feature.  I didn't know it existed.  That is actually what I was looking for.  I realize it isn't best practice to leave a part unconstrained, but it is acceptable in our case.  I would then do a Replace Part, and then ground it.  There is no reason that the surrounding geometry would move, so it is ok that it is fixed in place.

And don't forget the Assembly Relationship Assistant.  It can help you automatically re-constrain your mirrored half if needed, or any imported assembly for that matter.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author tadpole
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

The 'old' non-associative Mirror Assembly command is still available through Customize->Commands Not In the Ribbon.
---
Aditya Gurushankar
Manager, Solid Edge Planning

Thank you, that also does what I want.