Replace assembly in draft drawings

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

This is what I am trying to do but I cannot get the dimensions to remain attached:

1. Import step file into ST9, save as assembly (successful)
  2. Create draft(s) (successful)
  3. Import new step file of same geometry with changes (Same names for all assemblies and parts) [Successful]
  4. Update draft(s) for file with the minor changes [Unsuccessful: all dimensions detach]

I have tried using 'Design Manager' with 'replace part' and also 'Edit links' in the draft document. Neither have been successful.

If there is a way of doing this simply so that it can be done every time I need to important an updated geometry that would be great please

2 REPLIES

Re: Replace assembly in draft drawings

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The short answer is no. Different parts have different IDs and will lose relational connections to dimensions, etc. except for certain cases where you do a save as from the original parts.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Replace assembly in draft drawings

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgers,

OK I will try it the 3rd time (see extra post "Where are my answers?")

After explaining why I think that there will be no clear and easy solution to that question I think I've found at least a little help, to solve something:

It is using the "Create 3D" functionallity in the draft environement.

See video (hopefully) showing my test using a part, with a drawing, exporting it to parasolid and dxf

Then importing back them into a new part and a new drawing from which I send back the draft info into the part.

Then using the "Reattach PMI "  what will connect dims to same exiting geometry if possible.

Only changed areas can not be used for reattahing.

For me it is clear, that due to changes in the topology of the model (face item numbers will be totally different) after import new step model, this approach at least can help a little bit.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang