Replace draft template or blocks, multiple files

Legend
Legend

NOTE: I've posted this same request on the Developer Forum

We have joined with another local shop, and they are going under our current ownership/company name. Now we have tens of thousands of existing drafts that have the incorrect company name.

What are the best solutions to getting this resolved? No doubt the first priority are new and current files being used, and worry about anything older at a later day. Is there a macro to replace templates of existing drafts? Do we have to hire someone just to go and update thousands of drafts? I've attempted to create a block to drag into a draft, but was hoping there might be another option.

Now if I can figure out how to change the snap point of that block to drag into these outdated drafts......

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
6 REPLIES

Re: Replace draft template or blocks, multiple files

Phenom
Phenom

The easiest way I know to get a title block located is to make the block relative to a a circle in the lower left corner, Then when you insert it, make the center point of the circle 0,0

Phenom
Phenom

A gentleman named Klaus Dahlenburg wrote a template change macro many years ago. I am sure I have it here somewhere, but I have no idea if it still works with the current version of Solid Edge. It has been several years since I tested it. I don't recall the web site name where his macros were stored or if it even still exists. He was quite ill several years ago and has not been involved in the group in a long time.

The macro ultimately would not work for us because the original users who set up Solid Edge where I work put their revision blocks and other non-linked text in the background. The macro swaps out the backgrounds using a batch process, so whenever I would run it, I would lose anything in the backgorund that was not linked to a model property.

That said, if you don't have that issue, the macro worked quite well. I will look around to see if I still have it tucked away somewhere. It was easy to use. But, as I said, I have no idea if it will still work with SE.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Phenom
Phenom

I was able to find the files quicker than I expected. The macro and the source file are attached.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Genius
Genius
I believe edgepublisher.com will also do what you ate looking for. I've talked about it enough in the last couple months that I feel like a salesman for them. Guess I just really like the software.
Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Genius
Genius

Were you able to get a license for edgepublisher that worked? I tried some time ago and the license was invalid and though I sent a few emails to the developer I never did get a response.

Genius
Genius

I've recieved an evaluation license (30 days) back in November. again in January, and then in March.  Each time, the license was emailed within hours of sending the blank email per the website instructions.  However, the march email had an invalid license and I had to wait a few days to get a valid license.  This last time, I was persistant with mutliple emails each day and got it on the third day.  So, I am not complaining.  Now we are looking into purchasing a commercial license for the Unite functionality.  I haven't tried the other modules but would like to test them in the future.

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP