Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace multiple parts/sub-assemblies at a time

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Suppose I have an assembly file which contains nearly 100 parts/sub-assemblies. The part/sub-assembly naming system is changed in my office. Now I have to rename all those parts to be updated with new naming system. And these parts are also used in several other assemblies also. To rename the parts in assembly, I can rename all those parts in folder and then go to main assembly and replace all old parts with new parts. This process is surely time consuming.

Is there any easy solution.

Hi @Tushar , @hawcad can you please suggest me?

Regards,

Aslam

26 REPLIES

Betreff: Replace multiple parts/sub-assemblies at a time

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

this is a clear Case for the Design Manager.

Never try to move, rename, etc. SE files via the explorer but always do it via Design Manager! 

And when proceeding,  then don't forget to press the Where Used button, to take care shout all used references too. 

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

Thank you very much for your reply. The solution will be very useful.
I am using revision manager in ST8. I have used where used button, but the part name not changed in other assemblies.
Not sure what I am missing. Can you please suggest or make a short video or give an existing video link if any? That will be very helpful.

Regards,
Aslam

Re: Replace multiple parts/sub-assemblies at a time

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Agree with @hawcad

Design Manager (formerly called Revision Manager) should be used in this case.

Regards,

Tushar

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@aslamwrote:
Hello @hawcad,

Can you please suggest or make a short video or give an existing video link if any?

Hi @aslam

I'd suggest try searching on this forum for Revision Manager or Design Manager related posts using the search option at the top of this page.

I remember many videos have been posted in the past.

Also, search on Youtube.

But additionally if @hawcad creates the video it will be of great help.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad, thank you very much for the solution. No need to create video please.
Hello @Tushar, I have tried my self several times, and found that I have to assign 'Update' action to the 'Where Used' assemblies. Now all good.

Thank you all again! It is a great help!

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am following this interesting discussion... and you do the same for the parts in BOMs in the ERP system? And what about inventory of the old part numbers...?

Genius
Genius

@ Aslam.

If I read it correctly, you are talking about ASM’s with a +/- 100 part sublevel ASM/PAR.

This means you do not only have the ASM/PAR & PSM files, but also the related DFT files.

This would / could make for the given sample already +/- 200 files (assuming a 1:1 relation between 3D and 2D).

You then mention the related links between these files and others, in different folders.

Let’s multiply again; assume a 3:1 relation between 3D and other related files.

This could make already a ~ 200 + 35 + 35 files, making a total of already 270 near 300 files to be renamed.

This can be done using DM (Design Manager) and should be done using DM to keep the links.

But, there might be a different way as well. I do not know if it will work without the correct license, but all the files should be there.

You may want to use the tools which are there to prepare file to upload in Teamcenter.

These tools allow large qty of files to be processed in steps, resulting in working ASM’s etc after the process has been followed through each step.

Have a look at Data Preparation Utility; This could be found in C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST10\Program\DataPrepUtility.exe

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/110/se_help/#uid:renametc1h

Alternative, look in the SE Embedded Client Admin Guide.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/se/110/se_help/tdoc/en_US/pdf/SEECAd...

Look for the section on data preparation.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@quayquip.com
www.quayquip.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @markboom,

I am really grateful for your deep analysis. Yes, you are right. The situation is much like your assumption. I work in ST8 and don't have Team Center license. I will give it a try and will let you know.

Regards,
Aslam

Genius
Genius

@aslam

If you are still in ST8, I do not know if the tools will be there straight away. In ST10 they do. As far as I remember, in ST8 the tools need to be downloaded and installed separate.

But, if you are still in ST8, I do not remember is you already have Design Manager or still the good old RevMan.

Anyhow, keep in mind that changing all the names, either using RevMan of DM is a work of concentration. The card house isn't the most stable, making a mistake can possibly trip it....

My small advice... Possibly work bottom-up with a proper Where Used method.
This should take some time, but is doable...

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@quayquip.com
www.quayquip.com