Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Replace multiple parts/sub-assemblies at a time

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @marcboom,

Yes you are right. I couldn't find hat in ST8 folder.
And I couldn't find a way to separately download data preparation utility for ST8.
If you or anyone knows , please share with me. It will be a great help.
If no solution can be found for ST8, I will try to be upgraded with ST10 in near future.
Thank you again for the great solution.

Regards,
Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @marcboom,

I have installed ST10 and was trying to working with data preparation tool.

But I am getting confused with the docs of the links and couldn't find a solution.

Can you please show me or give a video/web link for simplified version expressing data preparation tool for file renaming? Please note that, I don't use Teamcenter. Only Solid Edge ST10.

Regards,

Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @marcboom,

Hope you are well. I have started to use ST10.
I was trying to use Data Preparation Utility for file renaming. The documentation link you gave, are good.
But I am getting confused with them, and couldn't find any simpler documentation or video for my situation.

My situation is, suppose I have a main assembly file named A in a folder. There is a part named B in that assembly which is in another folder. There is a draft file for that part B, with same name and in same folder. I want to rename the part B file name to C and the associated draft file will also be renamed as C. And the part will be re-linked with main assembly file A and with the renamed draft file C.

Can you please suggest me the work procedure by steps. A video will be very good.

Regards,
Aslam

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @aslam

IMHO this is a typical task of Design Manager.

I do not see the Data prep utilities as needed for that.

If You can install the BiDM from ST10, then the 3D file will know where it is used and where the drafts are.

I will try to provide a video on Monday

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
@aslam.

I send you a PM with some company documentation.
Have a look and let me know it it get's you where you would like to go...

P.S. is it possible to sketch a bit the before and after you would like...
From what I read above, bot DataPrep and Design Manager can be used....

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you very much @marcboom,

I will try and let you know the results.

Regards,
Aslam

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @hawcad,

Thank you for your reply.
Please note that, I have to do the same renaming job for approximately 100 parts/sub-assembly which are linked with other 100 main assembly files. @marcboom suggested data prep for this huge task, as he explained previously. If it can be done by the process you noted, it will be good.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

a further good question at this point will be, how will the new names be build?

Are there certain rule, do You use a next free number, etc.

Anyway defining every name manually will take a certain time at all, independend how this task will be performed.

But again, using the Design Manager with BiDM will allow You to do it automatically.

At this point it also is a perfect time to consider Your file name rules.

Is it good and is it necessary to have speaking file names to fullfill oldfashioned readability in explorer?

Wo You run into a problem somewhen if doing so.

And many other question are to be answered now.

This is a perfect time and a wonderful opportunity to make changes witihn Your system.

Take this chance to think about and to talk about.

Now You have to rename and change many documents and why should You not take this chance to do it better.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @hawcad,

Thank you for your query.

Yes you are right, I am explaining my situation.

1. The reason behind renaming is, my office is going to apply new part naming system. I have to update all 3ds, drawings and part inventory list. (inventory list is manually created in an excel file)
2. Firstly as our all part names are followed by the file names and part's description is in document number, my first concern is to rename all file names to apply new naming system. In that way, I will be able to update all drawings.
3. Secondly, my personal interest is to apply appropriate data management system. So document number will be part names, part's description will go to another custom property (may be in title), file names will be document number _title. The problem is my office is not fairly interested in data management, they are interested in getting updated drawing fast. But I feel that it is necessary. So if I can get a fast and reliable way of both renaming and applying data management simultaneously, it will be far more better.

Please note that, the new part naming system is next free number using style.

Regards,
Aslam

Hi @aslam

so then it could get easier as expected.

When You will use automatic numbers for naming, then BiDM is Your first goal.

This is a simple but not so bad - and also free - data management by Solid Edge using the Windows Seaarch services.

An as it is part of SE You can use it together with the Design Manager for saving Your exisiting data as ...

Then the automaic naming will be in place and it should be done by SE itself.

regards
Wolfgang