Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace subassembly without lost relationship

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi!
I have a question: there is a way to haven't problems with relationships when I replace a subassembly with another one?
For example:
If John designs a 3D assembly with a part with one hole that is used like relationship for place It in a assembly father, and Mark designs another assembly with a different part with also one hole, that must used like relationship, now I want replace the John's assembly with the Mark's one without Lost relationship.
There is a method for It?
I can't use other relationship (like system coordinates).
Thanks
6 REPLIES

Betreff: Replace subassembly without lost relationship

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Cek .

there are several strategies or functions to use here.

• If You do as mentioned and only place the sub asm on a fix point in space, then You will exchange it with less problems, but You do not have a real relation
  • If You have used any relation, e.g. axial alignment, then this will be lost after the exchanging, but - there always is a but  - You can use the relationship wizzard to let SE found it automatically
  • Or You use the steering wheel to move the sub asm a little and back to use the autoplace function from that feature of SE

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks @hawcad!
I need to use classical relations between faces and holes of different parts.
I would like to know how can I design my models, and how I must constrain them, and no have problems when I replace one model with another one that is "a restyling" or a "second version".
If possible I don't want work after replacement for correct the relations.
I don't know the relationship wizard and the auto place function that you say and how they work.
I take a look of them
Thanks

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Cek

I think, You can not design any two different parts so, that two different faces can hold one and the same relation without any additional function in use.

But the relation wizzard or the steering wheel are really great tools with very less operations to do.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer
I think that It isn't possible give a name or id to a face or hole, maybe It can help SE to find the surface and maintain the relation.
It is my thought. Smiley Happy
Thanks

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Cek

as already mentioned, there is a function to automatically let detect any possible relations in one single step.

Just use that!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Replace subassembly without lost relationship

Phenom
Phenom

One thing you can always do, is instead of designing you second part from scratch, if you did a save as of the first part and then only modified the geometry that was already there, only change the dimensions, then I believe when you replace one with the other it should keep those relationships without isssue.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"