Report: Pune Solid Edge User Group Meet, 2-July-2016

[ Edited ]

The first Solid Edge User Group meet outside the U.S. was a modest beginning but we got it cranked up. A moment of pride for a Solid Edge programmer with little or no experience with event management.

DSC09418.JPG

Highlights:

• Of 78 who registered, 15 confirmed participation subject to the condition that each participant must contribute in some measure and not just sit back and be a mute spectator. Of these, 4 actually made it to the event while 1 who was willing to contribute got stuck up in heavy rains and could not attend.

• No one from Siemens Business/Marketing who were invited showed up. None from the resellers and none of their customers attended. Those who registered got to know either through @MLombard's blog post on this community site or the Solid Edge Users Facebook page.

• 2 Participants were end-users of Solid Edge from the manufacturing industry and the other two turned out to be from the Pune Development center - Siemens' only development center outside Huntsville.

• Sheetal Amnaji from CNCTech presented on use of Synchronous assembly modifications and also talked about Solid Edge mold tooling.

• I presented on surface modeling and Synchronous Technology basics.

• Sandeep Kanitkar from the Synchronous Technology team of Siemens Dev Center gave behind-the-scene insight into how synchronous features are planned and implemented + gave details on how and why users should open as many IRs as possible, how IRs work internally and detailed information about ER and PR.

• Kaustubh Bhadekar from Solid Edge API development talked about the API planning and explained why users should always use the online help and not the local help since the online version is updated frequently whereas maintenance packs do not update local help.

• The group enjoyed snacks like jilebi and samosa with soft drinks.

• The group agreed to meet again after one month hopefully with some support from Siemens.

Link to photos

All presentations and group discussions were filmed but they are in excess of 150 MB each and beyond the range of my limited bandwidth, so will post them later.

~Tushar Suradkar

13 REPLIES

Re: Report: Pune Solid Edge User Group Meet, 2-July-2016

Good start @Tushar,....hope your next meeting fairs better participation, and indeed weather, for those travelling to the event.

Keep up your incredible work, my friend!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Thank you for encouragement Sean.

I hoped to begin with a solo user group but a band of 4 is not bad to begin with Smiley Happy

~Tushar

Well, I'm glad the group is started. It sounds like you have some contact information now to work with from those registered. I asked the Huntsville development guys to send the word to Pune, which might have been the reason those guys showed up. More advance notice would be the key, I think.

So now you are a user group leader, Tushar! Congratulations!

Thanks Matt and yes I agree - must give more time to myself and participants to plan for the next meet, as also lift the restriction on compulsory presentation/demo which perhaps discouraged many from participating.

Getting the user group up-and-running was in itself an ordeal and a challenge, especially with no one by my side. But in the end it was fun beating the challenge and this is for me, just the beginning.

@Tushar "as also lift the restriction on compulsory presentation/demo which perhaps discouraged many from participating."

Can't speak for attitudes in India but that would definitely decrease attendance here.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Compulsory participation was entirely my whim and no qualms about it for I seriously did not want the user group meeting end up looking like a 'one-man-stand-up-show'.

Whether east or west, the message that should go out strongly is 'freebies are limited to pizzas and drinks', but 'knowledge sharing is the name of the game' !!

[ Edited ]

@Tushar, I don't think it's a great idea for a first meeting. It would be better IMO to introduce the idea/requirement gently after people have the opportunity to see that it's a friendly, nonthreatening environment and just to get the "lay of the land" and ideas about what's appropriate and useful for presentation.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I would be OK if freebies were limited to samosas and drinks.
Using SE since V12, 2002

bshand wrote:

@Tushar, I don't think it's a great idea for a first meeting. It would be better IMO to introduce the idea/requirement gently after people have the opportunity to see that it's a friendly, nonthreatening environment and just to get the "lay of the land" and ideas about what's appropriate and useful for presentation.

I agree with you Bruce.

The CAD crowd out here in the automotive industry hub of Pune is quite mature with top 5 CAD development centers located in the city, one of those being Siemens' and with 30+ resellers of all those CAD softwares, 8+ resellers being for Solid Edge alone hosting one or the other events where attendees traditionally sit back and enjoy the show munching snacks, compelling me to set their expectations right about a participative event like a user group.

I understand I should be more lenient in the forthcoming events Smiley Happy

~Tushar