Repositioning parts of a Sub-Assembly that includes a wire harness

Creator
Creator

Hi All

I'm am looking for advice on the best way to take a standard sub-assembly and position its parts relative to those in the main assembly, preferrably without affecting the source file. In this case it is one of our standard RF cables that consists of a connector at each end with a length of wire (drawn in the harness environment) connecting them both.

I would like to plug each end into a connector in the main assembly and route the cable appropriately. I want to keep it as a sub-assembly so it is called up as a single part in the parts list.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

John

10 REPLIES

Re: Repositioning parts of a Sub-Assembly that includes a wire harness

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

You can use adjustable assembly but, afaik, your harness cannot be in that sub-level if you want it to update.

If you find an ideal method, let me know.

Experimenter
Experimenter

If I'm understanding what you're looking to do, you should use an adjustable assembly.  That way you can position the sub-assembly components based on peer geometry at the higher level assembly.  Just be sure to leave the moving components under-constrained in their assembly.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Could you post a picture about your issue?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the replies Smiley Happy

Screen.png

From what I can make out SE won't do exactly what I want, ie position sub-assembly parts and manipulate the wire paths from within the main assembly. Ref the TNC to SMA RF cable in the above assembly.

If I edit the sub-assembly in place, I can edit the wire paths but not position it's parts on those in the main assembly using assembly contraints. If I make the sub-assembly adjustable I can position its parts accurately but not edit the wire paths - catch 22! I thought I could fool it by making it adjustable, moving the connectors and then making it rigid again to edit the wire, but everything returns to their original position when you do that.

My workaround was to take a copy of the main assembly, add the sub-assembly components, route the wires, delete main assembly components and add the new (sub-)assembly to the original. Bit of a pain, but it kind of acheives what I am after.

Thinking about it, can you individually add all the parts and wires to the main assembly and the demote them to a sub-assembly level and save that as a new ASM file?

Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

John

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

No because a harness can not be transfered out of the assembly file it was created in.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have a feeling that we'll soon see an Imics created video which will reveal much...

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

I like the sound of that!

Genius
Genius

We run up against a similar problem with xPresRoute.  Our conduits are sub-assemblies that have the connector ends and then a length of conduit, but they need to be routed in the TLA to determine length.  These Conduit Sub-Assys can be re-used all over the place, shown bent per the TLA.

To tackle this, I use 2 different methods.  One is to take insert the TLA into a new assembly file with the Insert Assembly Copy command.  Then I can exclude all the items I don't want leaving the conduit and 2 fittings.  Works well, but I don't this that WireHarness can work with IAC.

2nd method and is much cleaner, (and I think less overhead) is to set the Higher Level Occurence property to No for the items you don't want to see.  Place your connectors at their location and then turn off the Higher Level Occurence for the Box and other locating devices in your TLA.  When you insert it into a new assembly, you should just have the Connectors and the Wire.

P.S. I have a small macro that I use to set the Higher Lever to Off and sets the Color to an opaque blue.  Helps me keep straight what is going into the TLA.

Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP2 - Insight

Creator
Creator

Thanks Dale

Method 1 is similar to my current solution, I'll give your method 2 a try and see how I get on with that.

If you don't mind sharing your macro, that would be great also.

Cheers

John