Retrieve dimension for flat pattern in Sheet metal

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi All

I have created a 3D sheet metal and created a 2D Flat pattern draft from 3D. I was wondering whether is it possible to show CutSize X and CutSize Y for  flat pattern in 2D Drafting automatically. 

Although the dimension showed in 3D flat pattern, clicking retrieve dimension in 2D draft doesnt show the dimension.

Is there any way for Solid Edge to show both dimensions in drawing automatically?

(And yes, I aware that smart dimension can do it just fine, i just wanted to know about the alternatives)

8 REPLIES

Re: Retrieve dimension for flat pattern in Sheet metal

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We do the same here but with a variable in the table:

BLANK AREA: %{Area|R1}^2

For the X-Dim: %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX |R1}^2

For the Y-Dim: %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY |R1}^2

This can only be done after flattening the part though.

Erick

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

You can use Retrieve Dim for flat pattern if you place dims manually! This can be useful in some cases!

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Legend
Legend

Maybe a little more input to help out:

1- After you flatten your part, you need to go into Tools, Variables, and check your cut size variables on.

2- I put the flat cut size formula onto the background of my draft, as such:

FLAT PATTERN = %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX|R1} X %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY|R1}

01.PNG

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You also can use one of my free macros for Solid Edge:  sheetlaser!

It will create a cople of variables in the PSM file for use within BOM or draft.

There are available cut length, number of bends, length of the longest bend, cutting time (according to cut speed), flat size, sheet blank info, and more.

Everything is controlled within the INI file (English info is there too).

An option is there for creating a DXF after use as well as an option for auotsave (Speichern) the PSM itself. For the DXF there are the values for the folder and the filename You want.

So You can use that macro instead of the standard File Save button and You will get most everything which is necessary for the sheet working.

PS.: There was added an option for save all that info to a textfile too, if wanted.

I hope it helps,

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Hawcad

The macro is awesome...but sadly I don't know how to read german :/

Will be very nice if there's a way to translate it to English

Legend
Legend

I use that macro very often, to produce my dxf and provide a total cut length of my part. I took and copied all the text within the Hauptmaße.ini file into google translator, so I could finger out how to turn off/on a couple things.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi, 

I thought that the infos I put into the INI file in English (together with the German explanations) will be enough for understanding, but it seems, that this will not be so.

If You can give me the hints, whats else should be translated, it would be a pleasure for me to do so.

I have added a more detaild info now into the INI which You will find as attachment here

Hope it helps

Regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

It's a great PlugIn!!!

But, it's possible to export all sheet metal cut sizes from an assembly?