Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return a borrowed lisence

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hello, 

I have big problem with a computer with a lisence borrowed.

Imagine, we borrowed a lisence to the user A. Few days later, we delete that user A while the borrowing time stil going. 

So now, I can't return the lisence because I don't have acces to that user. If I open Solid Edge with these computer with a new user another lisence is used.

Any idea to recuperate that lisence before the borrow time is end? And, even the date of return arrives, to retunt it without acces to that user?

Thank you!!

9 REPLIES

Re: Return a borrowed lisence

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You should be able to get it back manually via the LMTools

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no way to force the return of a borrowed license.  Only the borrowing user on the borrowing machine can return a borrowed license.

If it were possible to force returns of borrowed licenses it would then be possible for unscrupulous users to have as many Solid Edge licenses as they desire without paying for them.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@BeatrizSeoane  I do not believe there is a way to return a borrowed license early from the server side.  It must be returned from the client machine or if not possible, just allowed to expire.

It is a good idea to limit the max borrowing period to something reasonable for short trips away from the office since the Solid Edge floating license file sets the borrowing period default to something like 186 days.

I believe that can be done with a flexlm option file using the MAX_BORROW_HOURS command.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP7, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Theroretically it is possible ( practically not tested ).

I hope that you are admin on the PC and the profile of A user still exsits on it. Otherwise it wont be possible.

it is all about : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager\Borrow. you have to delete it from user A profile.

To do so open regedit and select HKEY_USERS then go to File->Load Hive. Browse to the users Hive file, usually NTUSER.DAT located at %userprofile%. (uncheck "Hide protected operating system file" from Folder Opetions>Vies) name it somehow,e.g. userA and now you can browse and delete the key.

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Kenny, 

Thank you for the response.

The user who had the borrowed lisence does not exist any more, so, once the time is end, these lisence will be returned?

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi, 

I have admin access but the user A don't exist

@tomasbucek wrote:

Theroretically it is possible ( practically not tested ).

I hope that you are admin on the PC and the profile of A user still exsits on it. Otherwise it wont be possible.

it is all about : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager\Borrow. you have to delete it from user A profile.

To do so open regedit and select HKEY_USERS then go to File->Load Hive. Browse to the users Hive file, usually NTUSER.DAT located at %userprofile%. (uncheck "Hide protected operating system file" from Folder Opetions>Vies) name it somehow,e.g. userA and now you can browse and delete the key.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you do not have access to the workstation *and* the user profile (either directly or indirectly through registry) that borrowed the license then you cannot return the license early.  You will have to wait for the license to expire.  Once it expires it will then become automatically available for other users to access.

Solution Partner Pioneer

Ok thank you, 

So we will wait.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

hi everyone,

related to return a borrowed license, i have one case that i returned the borrowed license earlyer than borrowed period. when i return license, it's says the license returned successfully. i also pointing the client to the server name from license utility after return the license. but everytime i run solidedge from it's client, there is pop up message mentioned the remaining days. i assume that the license is not returned succesfully.

any idea how to solve this problem?

any help really appreciated.

Thanks 

Destian