Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse the direction of flange while maintaining further relations

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here is a sheet metal component

1.JPG

Now I want to revese the direction of flange 1 (shown in the figure) while maintaining the tab 2 in the same direction.

Let me know if you can do it. Sheet metal component is made in ORDERED environment.

10 REPLIES

Betreff: Reverse the direction of flange while maintaining further relations

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Shiv_Madan

my first - and of course not the cleverest - answer for this request would be:

"Why not using a contour flange to get this sheet metal geometry?"

If You have a contour flange You simply can change the contour in itself getting the proper result as wanted.

But this would not answer the question.

Another approach -I would try - is, do mirror the base body about xy plane

So change the original body to "Construction Body" and now do a Mirror of this body about ref plane, changing the result back to "Design Body"

20171123_0715.PNG

So now I must close this post, hurrying to the next meeting.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well this was an easy case but when it is required to actually change a direction of flange due to some design alterations all the components made after flange are to be made again just because the flange is not able to flip the direction.

I beleive this is a major drawback of this sheet metal environment

Maybe the solution thah you have provided (to make the body construction and mirror ) work sometimes (aIthough I appreciate your approch towards the problem solving/solution finding) though.

But some more brainstorming is required on this simple technique to be implemented.

My colleagues work in SOLID WORKS and it is so simple in that (by just reversing the direction of flange - there is an option).

Phenom
Phenom

This is something that I find very annoying and frustrating with synchronous - If you drag that flange to the opposite side it should just change direction (along with any holes or features created in/on the flange) - it should not disappear entirely or fail.

I can understand downstream features requiring some work in ordered mode as surface normal directions are reversed.

I feel Siemens have really missed a few tricks with sync sheet metal, and there are commands that are available in ordered (a simple cut) but not in sync or work differently (close corner - multiple selections in ordered, only one in sync).

I have just tried to add a sync part feature in a sync sheet metal - I can only add an ordered part feature (ST7)

I've mentioned it before but have a look at Spaceclaim sheet metal - you can completely reconfigure a sheet metal part by swapping bends and edge-to-edge joints. You want a partial flange along an edge ? - just draw a line where you want it and pull the flange out.

In SE create a rectangular tab and then a flange up from each edge - OK, no problem.

Now try and create a flange INWARDS from the top of all of those with the mitred corners - can't do it.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Shiv_Madan

I cannot provide any real solution as long as You insist to use flanges for modelling Your PSM part.

But I can suggest several different methods and ways to use, for maybe a better, easier and more flexible approach to it.

First, as already said, You can use a Contour Flange rather than a Flange

But if You don't like this, ,You alos can try following way:

Start as PSM, but change to Part Mode immediately.

Create the shape of Your sheet metal part using extrusions, boxes, whatever, as long it is easy for You.

I would do this in Sync Mode, since it will be easier to cange later.

And now You can convert this part body to a sheet metal body

And, see video, You easily can modify Your design approach changeing the shape of the part body, with automatically get changed sheet geometry.

Yes, of course, it is not, what Your expexctations were, but it will work and maybe easier and faster

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Reverse the direction of flange while maintaining further relations

Genius
Genius

Hi @Shiv_Madan I know there are limitations and there will be operations to modify but here is a small idea to provide a solution apart from the one provided by @hawcad.

Thanks.

Regards.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Soliving this is one of my ER's to SE/GTAC

The bend angle uses the wrong reference. A 90 deg flange should be 90 deg, and it is. But a 45 deg bend is an angle of 135 deg.....wrong way. If 135 deg became 45 deg. Then a 90 deg flange could become a 270 deg flange to edit the direction.

Another way to think about this problem. Let's say you are using a bunch of small bends to create a circular profile. You would use a bunch of 5 deg bends, not 175 deg bends.

If the reference angle changed the reference point to 0 instead of 180. Then flange angle could range from 0 to 360 the proper way allowing the angle of the bend to be controlled in all situations. 

Legend
Legend

"The bend angle uses the wrong reference. A 90 deg flange should be 90 deg, and it is. But a 45 deg bend is an angle of 135 deg.....wrong way. If 135 deg became 45 deg. Then a 90 deg flange could become a 270 deg flange to edit the direction.

Another way to think about this problem. Let's say you are using a bunch of small bends to create a circular profile. You would use a bunch of 5 deg bends, not 175 deg bends."

I'm not understanding your concern. A 135 degree flange is bent up, or down, 45 degrees. This is what you are not agreeing with? Read any protractor, or program a press brake, and it is all the same.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The concern is.

If the flat is bent 45 deg, it should be a 45 degree bend not a 135 deg bend.

If that was the case, then the currently available range of 0 to 180 would become 0 to 360 and handle all possible angles of a flange without reversing or replacing the flange (would maintain all downstream designs).

Legend
Legend

Smiley LOL