Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverting released drawings to available with "Status Changer" tool

Do you also want to add information to a drawing, after it has been released.

I know the best way for large companies is to revise the drawing.

But for small companies, it's pretty common to add forgotten dimensions or extra comments after release.

Even in Insight this was not a problem via sharepoint, but in SEDM this is not built-in.

So know we started using the Barham-tool StatusChanger.

It's pretty straightforward, but you have to scroll to the specific file everytime again, instead of rightclick and perform.

Does anybody has another simple way of doing this?

Mike
Insight & Solid Edge user since 2007
19 REPLIES 19

Betreff: Reverting released drawings to available with "Status Changer" tool

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Wetech-Quantum 

the question is, wether to fully live the lifecycle or not.

Yes I know the situation, but a released status should be seen as released.

You can consider to use the status "in check" too to mark documents as close to release.

Besides that there is a new tool available in the German cad.de Solid Edge Forum:

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

To second  @hawcad 's sentiments..

I appreciate that at smaller companies it may not seem necessary to follow the “big boys” in the way of working but when it comes to released drawings there IMHO should be absolutely no difference.

Once a drawing is released that means that this is now the gospel to manufacture to.  Any changes to that released drawing can then negatively impact that product and result in bad product being made.  Therefore *all* changes should be tracked and documented with a new revision.

I appreciate that revising a drawing to correct “simple” clerical  mistakes seems like a huge and unnecessary deal but where do you draw the line as to what is a “simple” clerical error?  You state that you want to unrelease a drawing to add for example a forgotten dimension but what happens if that forgotten dimension then is in conflict with other dimensions already on the drawing?  Which conflicted dimension then is the correct one?  What happens if the vendor with an earlier version of the same drawing builds to one dimension but your expectation is to build to the other newly added dimension on this now newer modified version of the drawing?    

Also, how do you differentiate between an earlier version of the released drawing and this newer version of the released drawing which contains your “clerical error” fixes?  They both have the same revision.  The drawing that is out to a vendor is part of the legal contract and if a vendor builds their product to an earlier version of the drawing but your expectation is to have them build to your newer version of the drawing you loose and eat the cost of mistakes.  Even if the drawing does not go outside and remains internal to your organisation how do you guarantee  that the shop floor has the latest version of the same released drawing?  You cannot.

Your small company obviously places a value on having a drawing as being released otherwise you would not release the drawing in the first place.  If you then truly value what that released status means then you should always honour it.  If you are going to pick and choose what “released” actually means then do not even bother to release in the first place as it then apparently has no real value anyway.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Beside all the "theory" of the untouchable released documents there is a real world where to correct a spelling mistake or a missing dimension there is no need for a revision.

This is commonly called "Version", to change from version to version there is no need to do a full revision, so you have for example Revision 1 Version A then Revision 1 Version B and so.

Personally i track the Versions just by the last print date\time written in a corner of the drawing.

The trick is to set this registry key value to 1:

DOCMGMT_OVERRIDESTATUSCHECKFORFILEACCESS

The key is in:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 110\DEBUG

When you open a released drawing then you are able to gain a temporary write access

write access.png

Sorry @uk_dave you’re 99% right, but not completely.

The most simple explanation:
I sometimes release a par and dft, print the drawing, and then see a forgotten dimension.
Do you honestly think it’s in this case it requires a revision, I definitely don’t (and I assume other too).
In this case nobody has ever seen or got the drawing exept for myself, and of course I’m best to Judge, what should be on the drawing.

In a more complicated situation ofcourse it gets more critieer. A drawing already send out, will have extra writing with the mentioned additions or changes, so that everybody sees what happened. We store our drawings as pdf too, and this location is accessable for manufacturing, and they will see the old pdf remaned to _old.pdf
Of course we try to make a judgement call on whether to make a revision in this last case, or not. But luckaly we can choose, and that was the reason to start this thread. I just hope to find a tool to do it quicker/easier than StatusChanger.
Mike

Gears Phenom

@Wetech-Quantum wrote:

I just hope to find a tool to do it quicker/easier than StatusChanger.

Did you read my post ? You can temporary gain write access to a released file with just 1 click just after opening the file.

@Fiorini

Yes I did, and thank you for the information.
I haven’t tried this regedit change yet, as I suspect that after this I can open and edit all released drawings and models.
If this is true, it is definitely NOT what I want. As you now can accidently open a released drawing or model, and perform some unwanted changes, making all assemblies upwards out of date.

I want to select a specific file, and make only that one temporarely available, and afterwards again released.
The Statuschanger.exe from Braham does this very easily, but unfortunately you still have to scroll to every specific file you want to change.
A right click on the file in windows explorer and then selecting StatusChanger, would be great and easy.
Mike

Gears Phenom

@Wetech-Quantum wrote:
@Fiorini

I haven’t tried this regedit change yet, as I suspect that after this I can open and edit all released drawings and models.
If this is true, it is definitely NOT what I want. As you now can accidently open a released drawing or model, and perform some unwanted changes, making all assemblies upwards out of date.

You still have to choose to temporary unlook the file, it is just made easyer because you have one more option as you can see in the image attached.

If you don't click "Write access request" button, you can't save as before.

write access.png

@Fiorini 

Ok, I'll test your proposal.

Thanks very much.

Mike

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Wetech-Quantum  I'm a little confused. Your signature says you use Insight. Therefore you should have at least one designated user or login (preferrably not more IMO, depending on circumstances) with DocControl permission that will have right access to released files.

Why are you circumventing the Insight process with this Barham app?

I haven't actually tried that app on an Insight managed, released file. Does it work for a "regular" Insight user?

Also not sure about @Fiorini's regedit working for Insight managed files. I would hope not.

<edit> Okay, it just dawned on me that you probably mean that you have used Insight in the past but are not now.

Nevermind then.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200