Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Reverting released drawings to available with "Status Changer" tool

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Wetech-Quantum so in your explanation you state “In this case nobody has ever seen or got the drawing exept for myself, and of course I’m best to Judge, what should be on the drawing.”

Then IMHO you have not yet fully released the drawing – part of the release cycle is distributing to downstream consumers.  At this point, based on your explanation, you are not modifying a drawing that has been released but are simply correcting a drawing that has a released status applied—two subtly different things...

@bshand 

Well we're still using Insight, untill we're 100% shure SEDM works .

So our SE dealer migrated all files into SEDM, and know I'm testing the differences.

If you read my previous posts and comment, you'll find that I'm wondering if SEDM is already good enough.

First important difference

In Insight, we could go to sharepoint, and with edit properties we could type available over an already released document (something we only do when a drawing needs a forgotten dimension or so). So the StatusChanger of Barham would be of great use, unfortunately I just found out that it only works when Insight is installed.

The NEW Status Changer program does work, but it's not realy userfriendly yet, as you first have to scroll to the correct directory, and check some more boxes, than a simple "make available" or  "make released" or so.

So I'm still looking for a quicker way, maybe the @Fiorini way works...

Second important difference

After the migration all document have no information in the fields "SE Revision Root" and "SE Revised From".

I'm not sure if this will cause a huge mess in the future, as those fields make good sense, and I've read somewhere that new revised files in SEDM does have these field filled in (being filenames instead of Hexa-decimal "SE Document ID").

Bruce, no problem commenting, every tip/help somebody wants to give is very welcome.

Mike
Insight & Solid Edge user since 2007

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Wetech-Quantum, Just a question: you said "we" could go to sharepoint and override "released" with "available". All users have that permission?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@bshand 

Yes, all two of us (small engineering group like I said before)  Smiley Happy

We only have 4 SE licenses, and 2 FEMAP licenses, but use only 2 seats.

The dashboard o sharepoint screen looks like below, and with a simple rightclick on a file, we can correct the SE status to whatever we want. Ofcourse we are very carefully when doing so, but it works great.

image.png

Mike

Yeah, I'm familiar with that screen. Anyway, 2 users, my point is moot.

Bruce Shand

@Fiorini  I just tested this option in SE2019 MP4, and indeed it works great.  Smiley Happy

We now can easily eddit a released drawing, without having to change the status to available and back to released afterwards. And indeed just like you said, you can only perform a change after clicking the "Request write access" line. Otherwise the file remains read-only.

Be aware that the location in the Registry is different for SE2019:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siemens\Solid Edge\Version 219\DEBUG

DOCMGMT_OVERRIDESTATUSCHECKFORFILEACCESS  (value 1 instead of 0)

image.png

Mike

Hi @uk_dave 

I would not be able to say it better.

This exactly was and is my view to workflow and to status values.

Released is released and either it shows the current product state or becomes obsolete.

And this neither is a matter of a big company nor of a PDM system in use, this simply is quality management.

regards
Wolfgang

@Wetech-Quantum  schrieb:
Sorry @uk_dave you’re 99% right, but not completely.

The most simple explanation:
I sometimes release a par and dft, print the drawing, and then see a forgotten dimension.
Do you honestly think it’s in this case it requires a revision, I definitely don’t (and I assume other too).
In this case nobody has ever seen or got the drawing exept for myself, and of course I’m best to Judge, what should be on the drawing.

In a more complicated situation ofcourse it gets more critieer. A drawing already send out, will have extra writing with the mentioned additions or changes, so that everybody sees what happened. We store our drawings as pdf too, and this location is accessable for manufacturing, and they will see the old pdf remaned to _old.pdf
Of course we try to make a judgement call on whether to make a revision in this last case, or not. But luckaly we can choose, and that was the reason to start this thread. I just hope to find a tool to do it quicker/easier than StatusChanger.

Hi @Wetech-Quantum 

and if nobody has seen the draft, where is the problem to revise the draft, it gets a higher number and the old is sent to obsolete. You can delete it too.

And it will remind You to better check a draft before releasing it the next time.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

After changing registry value, there is no yellow read-only assistant for released files. No "request file access button"  as well and I can edit and save released files directly. Thats bad. SE 2019 MP4 with data management.

@Wetech-Quantum wrote:

@bshand 

Well we're still using Insight, untill we're 100% shure SEDM works .

So our SE dealer migrated all files into SEDM, and know I'm testing the differences.

If you read my previous posts and comment, you'll find that I'm wondering if SEDM is already good enough.

@Wetech-Quantum I'd be very interested in hearing about your ongoing experiences regarding this testing. By PM if you prefer.

Bruce Shand