Solved! Go to solution

Revision Manager Use

Ok.. is everyone using revision manager?

I am new.

I like it.

The boss does not like it. He uses "save as". He ends up redoing drafts.

His fear is copying files into multiple folders. But that can be recified later from what I can see. I'm pretty sure I can redirect and ommit the extra files. Will take some time and thought.

Yes that can happen. But if you want to save drafts assemblies and parts the revision manager is the way to go.

I think its pretty nice - considering other cad programs want $$$ for a PDM capability.

This works alot different than Intralink - what I am used to. But it does work.

The only drawback I see is the ability to repeat file names. In PDM system - there is one name allowed only. Then again - file manager does have that flexibilty about it.

Bottom line....who using it...who is not?

I am already stuck in "ordered" world. I am not going to like not using this functionality. I was told "not to dare use it".

19 REPLIES

Re: Revision Manager Use

[ Edited ]

I have been using Solid Edge since V3.5 and have never had the luxury of having a PDM system, so I have used Revision Manager for a very long time to manage my files and revisions. 

RM is not necessarily easy to use and it can be a little bit cryptic at times, but if you don't have PDM, it is the only way to copy and rename models and drafts without breaking links and creating a lot of cleanup work. I am not really sure how RM would cause you to create multiple files in multiple folders any more than save as would.

Once you understand how RM works, it is fairly easy to deal with and handles our daily needs. Is it as good as PDM? No, but then it is free and does not require an IT department to set it up and maintain it. 

I would add also that you need to understand how SE works in regard to file structures so you can better understand what RM is doing.

Bob Henry
Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author cs2kplus
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

[ Edited ]

The boss is very short-sighted and frankly rather clueless in this regard. I think he has attained his level of incompetence. You should fire him. Or move him to a different department. Maybe the mail room.

In all seriousness, RM is indispensible in my opinion. "Save as" can't accomplish anything like what RM can. It is somewhat cryptic at first but the more you use it the more you learn it. As for duplicate names, yeah, that's possible in any non-managed database unless, say, you're working in one huge flat folder. 

Even just going to Insight would handle that problem. But your boss would probably have a heart attack at the suggestion. You should suggest it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Perfect response B. I needed that both for moral support and a good laugh.

I have JUST started on SE and I am comfortable with it. Maybe because I HAVE used pdm tools.

Insight is SE pdm system above and beyond RM?

If so - yes he will have a stroke.

From what I can see - even if you F up....RM can do damage control.

One thing you need to do up front when copying a big drawing/assy/parts is to take some time and think about what your wanting to change and what you don't want to change. Even so - there are replace options.

What has the boss bent is that is was mis-used by a former employee. There are copies of files all over the place. But I am sure with some time they can all be redirected back to their library folders.

He has agreed to sit and discuss the possibilities. At least I got that. Now I have your support - I am ready to make my case.

Honestly I was ready to walk out the door and never come back when he said "use save as - and don't dare use manager". I was like...how in the hell am I going to efficiently use save as??? My mommy didn't raise no dummies.....bassackwards it would be.

Thanks again

Wayne

Glad to be of help Smiley Happy 

RM isn't PDM, of course, but it's a **bleep** powerful file manager which is totally needed in solid modeling which involves many linked files in multiple locations. And yes, Insight is the free basic PDM included with SE. You still use RM when you have Insight.

"One thing you need to do up front when copying a big drawing/assy/parts is to take some time and think about what your wanting to change and what you don't want to change. Even so - there are replace options." 

You are wise, Grasshopper.

Bruce Shand

Man Very Happy

So all SE licenses have Insight? How do you access? Is it separate install? Using ST5 currently.

It's a whole other can of worms to set up. Data prep, server setup, etc., etc. It's not exactly easy. You would need someone from your support VAR and/or GTAC to help. If you don't have maintenance it could be difficult and expensive. Since you're on ST5 that suggests that you don't have maintenance, correct?

Bruce Shand

Ding Ding Ding. Yeah I'd say we don't. LOL.

Shoot I am happy with RM if he buys into it.

I think hes Breaking Good.

Just hope he doesn't go Dexter on you. If you must, use it but don't tell him. There's no trail, no residue.

Bruce Shand